emulation for msn messenger!

Guest klinger2004

Hmmmm... I am just a n00b - but I was a super dedicated (at least I thought) MS WinXP user for a few years (still have to use it for multitrack audio and a few apps like MM Studio MX). For me, it ran stable, quick... pretty solid all around - but the biggest reason I recently switched to Linux was... well... lots of reasons. Among them being privacy - it's like MS coming into your house while your sleeping just to see what you've got. AND YOU HAVE TO LET THEM if you want to protect your system with the latest updates (which are also just new ways to be monitored as well). I'm certainly not paranoid about it, I just do not like it.

Supposedly, as of Oct 15th - there was a new protocol change with MSN Messenger wasn't there? My Gaim .70 still seems to work fine though.

It's funny how MS is trying to rub out every aspect of Linux - thus wiping out the possibility of freedom of choice. For this reason alone - I make every ATTEMPT to purchase a Linux product that I use or make a donation if I can (I even made a small donation to this board this morning - this board has saved my ass more than once and would reallllllly enjoy that it would stick around).

Other reasons I've switched - I am tired of having to constently worry about virus', expense (though I buy Linux products when I can, there is still a HUGE difference), even better stability, and I was tired of MS's candy assed kindergarten interfaces.

On a final note - I try to turn all of my friends and family on to Linux - it is FFFFAAAARRRR superior to MS - especially in terms of home use, but I think you really have to be a computer lover to want to use it - generally, everyone I know is far too lazy to try something new. It was enough of a pain to get my Mother to take on my MSN subscription (because I was switching to Linux) than to introduce her to an OS where everything is at your finger tips. But hey, if you want to follow the other cattle to the cliff... enjoy. ;)

PS - I think this was my first contribution to the board where I wasn't asking for help. WOW.