IRC commands

jlc

/join #coolness

You join the channel #coolness.

/who #coolness

Gives some info on users in the channel.

@ = channel op, while * means IRC op.

hello everyone

Everyone on #coolness sees <yournick> hello everyone. (You need not type in your own nick.)

/me is a pink bunny

Everyone in #coolness sees * yournick is a pink bunny

/leave #coolness

You leave the channel.

/whois Tomm

You get some info about Tomm or whatever nickname you entered.

/whois yournick

This is some info others see about you.

/nick newnick

Changes your nick to "newnick"

/msg Tomm hi there.

Only Tomm sees your message (you don't need to be on the same channel for this to work).

/ping #coolness

Gives information on the delay (round-trip) between you and everybody on #coolness.

/ping Tomm

Gives information on the delay (round-trip) between you and just Tomm.

/dcc chat MaryN

This sends MaryN a request for a dcc chat session. MaryN types /dcc chat yournick to complete the connection. DCC chat is faster (lag free) and more secure than /msg.

/msg =MaryN Hi there!

Once a DCC connection has been established, use the /msg =nick message format to exchange messages (note the = sign). DCC does not go through servers, so it are unaffected by server lag, net splits, etc.

/help

This works in many clients. Try it!

/quit good night!

You quit IRC completely, with the parting comment so that others see "*** Signoff: yournick (good night!)".

This is a basic list, but will help in the begining and always try /help to see what's available in your client.

8)

http://irchelp.org/

This also might be a good place to outline some of the more popular IRC Client software.

X-Chat is one of the most popular among #musb users. You can see it up in a lot of screenshots in the Show off your Desktop thread.

KSIRC is another good one, not quite as good as X-Chat for a gui interface. This one comes standard with KDE

BitchX is a fairly decent terminal-based IRC client. I've used it, and I like it; but it's not my favorite.

irssi is another terminal-based IRC client. This is the one that I use and the one that you'll see in most of my Fluxbox screenshots.

Of course, with terminal-based irc clients, you need some additional commands. Here's a few of my favorites for irssi:

/server add -auto freenode irc.freenode.net:6667 - Will add and automatically connect to irc.freenode.net on startup. Of course, if you have this one, you might as well have:

/channel add -auto #musb freenode - This will automatically join #musb (our channel) on startup. If you use irssi, and enter these commands, don't forget to issue:

/save to save your settings for each time irssi is opened.

More commands for irssi can be found here: http://real.irssi.org/?page=docs&doc=startup-HOWTO

Other useful commands for irssi:

/n - similar to /whois #musb Gives you a listing of people currently signed in to the channel

Alt + 1-0 or Alt + q-o will switch between active windows.

Page Up/Page Down will let you scroll up/down

/away awaymessage will put you into away status. This message will not be broadcast to the channel, but will show up if anyone tries to /msg you

/away with no away message will set you back to active status.

The /away command will also work for any client you use. The command to bring you back active is either /away again or /back depending on your client.

• 5 months later...

register my nick, might as well right?

once you are logged into freenode and have your desired nickname just issue the following commands:

/msg nickserv register <your-password>

Hide your e-mail and set it.

/msg nickserv set hide email on

/msg nickserv set email <your-email-address>

Now people can't spoof your nick! :P

Add another name and link it to primary, first you have to change from primary to secondary:

/nick cybrjackle_

/msg nickserv link <primary-nick> <your-password>

For more info:

Nickname Setup

Edited by cybrjackle

How can I tell when someone might be spoofing a user's identity? If your client supports CAPAB IDENTIFY-MSG, you can configure it to let you know when someone speaking on channel or via /msg is not identified to services. If you want other people using this feature to know that you're you, have your client /msg nickserv identify yourpasswordhere automatically when you connect to the network.

Scripts to take advantage of CAPAB IDENTIFY-MSG are currently available for irssi and mIRC, and a patch is available for sirc and ksirc.

irssi script

Q: How do I run scripts?

A: Put them into ~/.irssi/scripts/ and in irssi do /script load script.pl . There is a default alias for /script load to /run in newer versions of irssi.

Q: How do I rerun scripts?

A: Just do /script load script.pl .

Q: How do I unload scripts?

A: Just do /script unload script.pl .

Q: How do I run scripts automatically at startup?

A: Put them into ~/.irssi/scripts/autorun/ directory. Or better would be if you placed them in ~/.irssi/scripts/ and created symlinks to autorun directory (eg. cd ~/.irssi/scripts/autorun/ ; ln -s ../script.pl .)

Q: Is there an easy way of managing script?

A: Try scriptassist.pl, it can update and manage your scripts as well as install new ones and search the database.

Q: I discovered a real fabulous/ugly script. How can I spread the word?

A: You can rate scripts at http://ratings.irssi.de.

Q: Is there a mailing list I can bother with questions about script use and development?

A: Sure there is, send a mail to irssi-scripts-subscribe@scripts.irssi.org to subscribe to it.

All irssi Scripts

Edited by cybrjackle

• 1 year later...