Mandriva Triage Team needs your help

spinynorman

If you have a certain level of familiarity with Linux in general, Mandriva Linux in particular, and the Bugzilla bug tracking system, simply subscribe to the mailing list and send a message volunteering.

You will be given the information you need about Bug Policy, triaging and bugzilla management to do the job.

El Blog de Pacho

Errrm....? They felt that AdamW, who was the man behind the bugtracker and triage team during the last year(s), was expendable and now ask the community for help, for doing what AdamW did without paying a dime? :huh: Very clever business tactics. :whistle:

"Prudent management of operating costs" is what it is called.

Unfortunately business these days is about meeting the quality requirements of customers, getting the level of quality right is critical to modern day business. Mandriva wants to offload a key aspect (well I see no sign of TQM practices, therefore quality appraisal is pretty fundamental) of this to the community...a disaster waiting to happen IMO.

There are Linux projects that do not have a corporation back up, and they manage to handle their bugs pretty well, so i do not see here something extra ordinary. Of course, i think that if you pay people money for their work - the work might be done faster, so I think there can be some bug tracking performance change.

There are Linux projects that do not have a corporation back up, and they manage to handle their bugs pretty well, so i do not see here something extra ordinary. Of course, i think that if you pay people money for their work - the work might be done faster, so I think there can be some bug tracking performance change.

I'm not disputing that, but those community projects do not have a business model to maintain, one that includes enterprise and OEM customers...

Edited by Reiver_Fluffi

Mandriva's end user release is (and has been for years) a collaborative project between Mandriva (the company) and volunteer contributors.

Adam Williamson was not paid to triage bugs. One of his many duties was to lead the triage team, which was and is comprised mainly of volunteers. Pacho is now leading that team. As with any team, people come and go. At the present time the team is in need of some more volunteers in order to spread the work load and to speed up the process of bug triaging.

I'm surprised at some of the comments that seem to have been provoked by Pacho's invitation. Most FOSS projects issue similar invitations.

Jim

Those that don't have corporation backup, I can understand having the community help to fix everything. And I applaud them for managing the bugs well. In Mandriva's case, they've never really been able to manage their bugs, with or without the corporation behind them. I waited at least a year before I even got a response to a bug. I've mentioned it before, and so doesn't matter now. It's purely for informational purposes.

With corporation backup, you would think that fixing bugs would happen much quicker. It doesn't seem to be the case for Mandriva. Think Red Hat or even Fedora. There will be the corporation that fixes the bugs as well as the community (Fedora) although a lot of the guys behind Fedora are also Red Hat employees and so probably helps explain why the bugs are fixed very quickly. This I've noticed when I logged bugs with Red Hat/Fedora, versus ones logged with Mandriva.

I wonder though how many people within Mandriva are fixing the bugs, versus the community? :unsure:

Some say it's harsh words against Mandriva, but it can be deemed justified considering the way they seem to operate and treat people. A company trying to live off the profits off their products - OK. Using the community to live off those profits - not OK. Find the balance, like Red Hat, like Ubuntu, like other open source companies.

Reap what you sow, and sow shall you reap!!!!!

Some say it's harsh words against Mandriva, but it can be deemed justified considering the way they seem to operate and treat people. A company trying to live off the profits off their products - OK. Using the community to live off those profits - not OK. Find the balance, like Red Hat, like Ubuntu, like other open source companies.
Well said. I couldn't agree more.

Yet, Mandrivas 2009 & 2009.1 are superb in terms of stability. All bugs that were present after installation perished and generally, I prefer those to contemporary Ubuntu or openSuse.

All bugs i have ever submitted where addressed in a matter of weeks, which is pretty good in my opinion.

Despite all said earlier, i don't think that a disaster is coming. Mandriva is well known for its peculiar business ways, but almost every time managed to make a good release.

Well, I disagree.

Sorry to be late to the party guys - not enough time, too many things to do.

But anyway...

I disagree, since without bugreports, Mandriva won't get better, and with bugreports, at least it may.

And I have used Mandriva without paying a cent for several years now (I did pay a few years although I got a free VIP account due to being a translator).

If you don't pay the company Mandriva, don't comment on how the company treats their people.

(If you do pay them, perhaps you should pay them more before you comment...?)

If you use the distribution Mandriva Linux, please do contribute as much as you can. One way is to file bugs properly.

Note: all bugs I filed have been handled in decent time, as far as I can remember.

I've never felt like I was doing free work for a company when I was translating, I always felt like I was doing a little bit of work and getting back the whole OS in return. Small price to pay.

BTW if you don't support Mandriva (linux, the distro), then how much better will Mandriva treat the remaining employees?

You complain about Mandriva laying off AdamW, but none of what you do (FWICT) leads them to be in a position where they don't have to do that again the next time things get tough.

You complain about Mandriva laying off AdamW, but none of what you do (FWICT) leads them to be in a position where they don't have to do that again the next time things get tough.
*cough* Nice that you know better than myself what "I" (or others) did for Mandriva to become a better distro. Before you point any fingers, please do your homework.

I submitted and verified bugreports and tested cooker, I have helped here and on the official Mandriva IRC-channel for free whenever I could, I created icons for Mandriva in my spare time, I collected information on how to improve Mandriva and shared the information with the company, stayed in touch with them, I propageted the distribution on other sites, I wrote several positive Mandriva-reviews, I burned and shared dozens CD-images with newcomers to linux. And you tell us that we have no reason to complain because we don't improve Mandriva? Sorry pal, but that's utter nonsense.

Anyway, with Mandriva being a company run by CEOs whose business-skills are imho very questionable, the influence we have in Mandrivas success and improvement is VERY limited. The programmers do a good job and create a good quality distro on a regular basis - but Mandrivas business-policy is a joke.

If you don't pay the company Mandriva, don't comment on how the company treats their people.

(If you do pay them, perhaps you should pay them more before you comment...?)

That's a joke right? :unsure:

So, I'm paying Mandriva for a product, and I see rubbish/non-existent support, and non-existent bug reporting, so I'll pay them more money? Where's the logic in that? A company that wants to improve should offer good customer support, etc, etc, etc. Don't show a good level of service, how do you expect people to return and want to pay more for the product? That's where Mandriva Expert failed because nobody wanted to pay for support that was non-existent or nobody bothered to reply to.

Let's take another example. Someone (me), wanted to become a business partner of Mandriva to help them sell and promote their products. Yet no-one could be bothered to reply. Hmmm, so you want to make more money and you want to sell your products and people contact you wanting to help and promote Mandriva and yet you don't do anything about it to help people sell and promote your products?