installing java1.6.0_14 in mandriva 2008.1[solved]

hiya, I'v had a few problems this weekend but I can see light at the end of the tunnel.

Please help me with this Im sure you people who understand mandriva will know the answer.

I'v successfully installed the java update using the Konsole and now just have to create an association between the java update and mozilla firefox.

The file in the Java help page is out of date so what I need to know is what is Mozilla firefox 3.08 compiled with ?

The code on the java page is :

ln -s /usr/java/jre1.6.0/plugin/i386/ns7

/libjavaplugin_oji.so

but Im sure its not ns7

Iv worked out that it should be i586 and not i386 as the java is jre-6u14-linux-i586.rpm

The java page says"In the command line above, use ns7-gcc29 if Firefox was compiled with gcc2.9." but I don't know what the automatic software update programme in mandriva spring2008 uses or what its shortened name is for the code.

Please will you help with this?

[moved from Software by spinynorman]

What I mean is that ns7 obviously means netscape, but I dont know what gcc2.9 is or whether mandriva has used that to compile mozilla

the page that offers the guide I am using is at this address : http://www.java.com/en/download/help/5000010500.xml#rpm

and I am at the bottom of the page under "Enable and Configure" subheading "Firefox"

Edited by saparonia

I tried this

[root@localhost plugins]# in -s /usr/java/jre1.6.0_14/plugin/i386/n7_gcc29/libjavaplugin_jni.so

bash: syntax error near unexpected token `in'

[root@localhost plugins]# ln -s /usr/java/jre1.6.0_14/plugin/i386/n7_gcc29/libjavaplugin_jni.so

probably got the wrong lib file also as I was guessing

Edited by saparonia