• Announcements

• spinynorman

Mandriva Official Documentation

Official documentation for extant versions of Mandriva can be found at doc.mandriva.com.   Documentation for the latest release may take some time to appear there. You can install all the manuals from the main repository if you have Mandriva installed - files are prefixed mandriva-doc.
    • paul

Forum software upgrade   10/29/17

So you may have noticed the forum software has upgraded !!!
      A few things that have changed. We no longer have community blogs (was never really used) We no longer have a portal page.
      We can discuss this, and decide whether it is needed (It costs money) See this thread: Here
payasam

No audio, no video [a new problem]

I've tried that, Scarecrow. Didn't bring up the audio. Maybe this was because I didn't configure alsa. I don't know how to do that.

When I disable Pulse Audio, I do not get even a crackle from the speakers on start-up.

Running alsaconf brings this at the end: "Sound is being used by pid 19419". Does this tell us anything?

I have now used Linux for five years. Is it a sign of Progress that only MDV 2009 and MDV 2010 have given me trouble with sound?

Running alsaconf brings this at the end: "Sound is being used by pid 19419". Does this tell us anything?

Yes. That some process is keeping the audiocard busy- most likely... PulseAudio! :P

Do an init3 as root before running alsaconf (as root again).

Not knowing how to "do an init3", I just typed that in as root: with the response "not recognised".

I think that should be init 3.

I.E. a space between the t and the 3.

Cheers. John.

Edited by AussieJohn

Thank you, John.

[edit] Tried init 3. No improvement. I STILL DO NOT KNOW if I am doing the right things.

Edited by payasam

Friends, no luck so far and I'm getting disheartened. The only problem in four or five years which this forum has not helped me solve.

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoticons maximum are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.