No audio, no video [a new problem]

payasam

There is a file named alsa.conf, scarecrow. Trying to run it, even as root, brings a "permission denied" response. I also found a file called pulse-default.conf, in which every line begins with #DRAKSOUND.

Could this be a permissions matter? I have installed and re-installed several times. I left /home untouched but the permissions changed in it. I now get a "bash-3.2$" prompt rather than a "localhost user" one except as root.

[EDIT] I had not found an alsaconf with "whereis", so I pulled it in with urpmi. It ran, identified the sound card correctly, and quit after saying that it had done its work. However, there is still no sound. Urpmi reported that alsa-utils was already installed.

Edited by payasam

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here we are.

[root@localhost albert]# lsmod | grep snd
snd_intel8x0		   29112  2 
snd_ac97_codec		102592  1 snd_intel8x0
ac97_bus				1532  1 snd_ac97_codec
snd_seq_dummy		   2464  0 
snd_seq_oss			29504  0 
snd_seq_midi_event	  6812  1 snd_seq_oss
snd_seq				48912  5 snd_seq_dummy,snd_seq_oss,snd_seq_midi_event
snd_seq_device		  6728  3 snd_seq_dummy,snd_seq_oss,snd_seq
snd_pcm_oss			37504  0 
snd_pcm				74496  3 snd_intel8x0,snd_ac97_codec,snd_pcm_oss
snd_timer			  20932  2 snd_seq,snd_pcm
snd_mixer_oss		  14428  1 snd_pcm_oss
snd					56516  13 snd_intel8x0,snd_ac97_codec,snd_seq_oss,snd_seq,snd_seq_device,snd_pcm_oss,snd_p
cm,snd_timer,snd_mixer_oss
soundcore			   6976  1 snd
snd_page_alloc		  8708  2 snd_intel8x0,snd_pcm

what about the output of

cat /proc/asound/cardx/codec#x

where "x" is the number of your card and the codec number it has..

you can get there (/proc/asound) and then use ls to see which number of directory you have card0, card1...main is card0...and then use "cd card0" or "cd card1" depending on the number and then use ls again and see the codec#x file it could be codec#0, codec#1...then post the output using cat codec#0 or codec#1...I don't really know which one you have....it could make easier to find where's the problem

I have sound. It came on as soon as I turned off 3-D hardware acceleration in the graphical server section of MCC. Can't see the connection.

However, video files still do not play -- although images from the videos are visible as thumbnails in the file browser so things are not all wrong.

Maybe videos will start playing when I turn off the spelling check in Open Office.

In five years of using Mandrake/Mandriva/PCLOS, this is the only time I have had such absurd trouble. This is called Progress, I suppose.

What are you using as video output in mplayer, or whatever you use for playing back your videos?

In a system like yours, the best choice for output seems to be "xv" - not x11, gl or gl2.

There's also vdpau, which works best with 3D-desktop on and HD videos, but it needs a patched mplayer/ xine and a very recent nvidia card (8xxx series or newer).

Scarecrow, I have for a long while preferred VLC, but I also have MPlayer and a couple of others. I don't know where to specify the video output.

[edit] In MPlayer, xv was specified. Videos began playing as soon as I changed it to X11. Now I must look into the other players.

Thank you all for your patience.

Edited by payasam

• 4 months later...

Scarecrow, please see posts 22 and 23. I have a fresh installation of MDV + GNOME. No video. Cannot remember, and cannot find, the place where I specified X11. No audio either, but perhaps I shall set that right.

Silly of me to look everywhere but in the right place.

I now have sound and video in VLC and MPlayer. However, now Thunderbird does not run. Here is what I get when I try to run it from the command line:

ALSA lib pcm_dmix.c:1008:(snd_pcm_dmix_open) unable to open slave

/usr/lib/thunderbird-2.0.0.23/run-mozilla.sh: line 131: 5538 Segmentation fault /usr/bin/soundwrapper "$prog" ${1+"$@"}

[edit] With Pulse Audio enabled in MCC, sound works but Thunderbird does not. When it is disabled, Thunderbird works but there is no sound.

I recently installed Linux Mint on a friend's computer. To get things moving it was necessary to remove Pulse Audio completely. Could that be the solution of my problem? If it is, how do I go about it?

Edited by payasam

Scarecrow, I heard the shot when you let PulseAudio have it in the head. Don't hide, please.

Removing PA in the ordinary way is not an option: the package manager threatens to remove 173 packages in all, which probably wouldn't leave the computer good even for Pong.

• 3 weeks later...

On 2010, the same problem.

In 2009 I had managed to get sound to work. Now that I have moved "up" to 2010, I am again without sound. There is a crackle from the speakers on booting up, but no welcome fanfare.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.