Odd Installation Problem [solved]

Guest Darkantwan

Guest Darkantwan

Hi all!!

I have used Mandriva before, but had to wipe my drive when i rebuilt my system. Yesterday I installed Mandriva, and it installed fine, shutdown. Today, went to boot, and the loading screen took forever. Progress bar didn't move, but then suddenly i am greeted by a black screen, and then loads of messages saying command not found, and temp file could not be written.

Spec:

AMD Phenom X3 8650 2.3GHz

2GB DDR2 800MHz Kingston Ram

ASUS M3N78-VM Motherboard

Western Digital Caviar 250gb Hard Drive 7200RPM

ASUS ATI HD4670 512MB GFX Card

Don't think hardware is an issue....Thinking about it, I was able to run (the same release) of Mandriva on this build just before i wiped my drive (Slight problem...long story, my fault :P)

Any advice?

If everything is completely messed up, try a reinstall, if that also results in disaster, then it is probably a harddisk-problem. Using a diagnostics-tool would be the next step.

And yeah... some more information on the kind of error-messages would be useful.

Guest Darkantwan

Thanks for your advice, I have discovered my DVD Drive was to blame, apparantly dirty lens. Lens cleaning disc soon solved that though.

Thanks

IMO there was something else- not the dirty lens. Reason? If something is not read properly from the installation CD, then it's not installed, and the installer pops up an error message.

But- since the second installation went fine, all the above is just philology.