mandrake powerpack: full commercial apps?

Peep

I'm probably going to waiting to upgrade to 9.2 until i can buy the cds from mandrakesoft, but i have never really looked at a powerpack set before. this link shows many of the applications included. the ones that most got my attention were vmware (which i know is quite expensive), win4lin,crossover office, and opera. are these all full versions? or limited demos?

If it's anything like my experience in 9.0, this will mostly be demo products to enable you to 'check them out'. Personally I would think a well-composed 'contributions' CD (containing e.g., Rox-Filer, The Zinf, Totem, wallpapers and skins for different DE's and apps, ...) would be far more valuable to a single 'home desktop user'. Here's what I found on the website about my 9.0 PowerPack:

http://www.mandrakesoft.com/products/90/applications

*/ Begin Rant /*

With Suse 8.1, you got a *fully owned* copy of Acronis OS Selector. That product alone is worth half of the price of the distro. I say Mandrake should make a good deal with Codeweavers and include Crossover Office and/or Plugin in the 9.2 PowerPack ;) ... even if it makes the powerpack a bit more expensive.

Just some thoughts... sometimes I don't get the commercial reasoning behind the inclusion, availability or absence of certain software. MandrakeClub, however, seems like an excellent deal for both users and company.

*/ End Rant /*

Darkelve

b2b or not b2b! Is that a question ???

Well once again this is a question of business planning for Mandrake Soft.

I was dissapointed with whats actually on the powerpack. Indeed my 9.0 saved me downloading acrobat reader .....

Then, just as I was thinking I'd stick with SO cos I can use it at work on the Solaris boxes .... they get rid of SO and replace it with OO. Nothing wrong with OO (That a quad processor opteron can't fix :D), I just wish they could be consistent!!

Again, Im unclear as to what CLUB membership gives vs Powerpack vs downloads of demo software. :roll:

My Club experience was limited by not having broadband for most of it and not getitng any answers.

My Powerpack experience is that its mostly 'demo' version of either limited functionality or click to purchase full product!!!

So what do I gain ????

(lets forget supporting Mandy just 4 now)

IF I buy Powerpack I save a download of say vmware ? I still have to register and purchase a license! Well that fine and Dandy because I don't expert a 50$ distro to give me lots of $199+ software for FREE.

But, it doesn't save a download cos I get an old vmware version and then need to download a later one.....

Same with the old SO stuff. I still have my 9.0 CD's with SO 5.1 or something.... BUT I still need to get the latest version.....

In all honesty the two are different IMHO...

VMWARE sells for profit.....its really cool software they deserve to make money from. Sun sells SO becuase some companies don't trust FREE (beer) software. They WANT to pay!!! So Sun humours them and sells it! It comes pre bundled with Solaris though!!

But my dilemna is the same.... what will the club provide, later version of this SW or just the same tired old ones!!

90%, possibly 100% of the Powerpack is avaialble from the web seperately. As a club member I get to use bittorrent to downaload it, a questionable privelidge!

/rant off

b2b or not b2b!  Is that a question ???

Most people seem to thinks b2b is the answer. Maybe it *is* the question ;)

Main question is:

"b2b, please tell me, can you see, what to put on CD, for a fee

so our customers can flee from the CVS tree"

(Or, in other words:

How can we fill those 3 blank CD's in a way that's actually useful to our customers?

)

I'm not sure that SO6 is included in any of the packs, wasn't there some link between Sun and SCO? Maybe I'm mixed up.

To me details of what is included in each pack seem a little sketchy this time round, or at least hard to find?.

I'll continue to pay my membership but I'm not actually sure that I'm going to install 9.2 at all.

9.1 is doing very nicely thank you and I don't know that anything that is being udated in .2 is really worth the effort (for me). If KDE has suddenly become lightening fast or packet writing has been introduced well maybe I'll change my mind. I see USB 2 is now supported and I have USB 2 ports. Alas I have no compatible devices! I've long cherished the idea of backing up to an external hard drive though......

9.1 is doing very nicely thank you and I don't know that anything that is being udated in .2 is really worth the effort (for me). 

i still am waiting for the time when i can use gnucash. :( trying to compile from source got me to install so many package from cooker and still i cant use it.

my 9.1 also grew a dislike for wvdial. well since my home system is out of commission then i dont have a computer to play with at home. :roll:

ciao!

urpmi gnucash didn't work?

using the packages in the installation cd? oh they work and gnucash starts for a little bit then coredumps when im trying to create accounts. something to do with glade. i was never able to figure it out before i started to get the new version compiled from source. i have a thread in here somewhere that shows my frustrations and shame. :(

ciao!