Fatal Problem During Installation

Guest Malaidas

Guest Malaidas

Hi All,

I hope someone can help me here. I have currently an installation of Suse 10.3 andam trying to upgrade to Mandriva 2009-1. However I have a serious problem. I've downloaded and written the iso image to CD and this seems to be fine. However when I try to install, it lets me enter locale information etc and then after I've selected my keyboard layout it crashes out saying

"Could not start kdeinit4. Please check your installation"

Clicking ok takes me to a black screen from which I can only reset.

I'm a linux newbie, can anyone suggest how I might get round this problem?

Edited by Malaidas

Welcome aboard. :)

Just a basic question: Are you installing from scratch or are you really trying to "upgrade" Suse with Mandriva? In the latter scenario, trouble IS expected, as the two linux-distributions are very, very different from each other and not really compatible (Suse is looseley based on Slackwares architecture and system-design, while Mandriva is rather based on Red Hats architecture and system-design).

Guest Malaidas

Thanks,

I'm simply installing by booting the CD, hoping for a 'from scratch' installation.

Just for information: Suse's been giving me major problems, particularly with the inability to setup my network card correctly (I've tried 2 different cards, both of which are in its HCL but neither will successfully work) so I'm hoping Mandriva will do a better job.

cheers

Okay, if you are installing Mandriva from scratch, then you always have a backup-desktop with IceWM. You can apply from there some patches to your system using the Mandriva Control Center (MCC, aka. "Configure your computer"). I guess that you ran into one of the bloody KDE4 bugs. I used KDE4 myself for some time and found it horrible and bug-ridden, so I went back to good old Gnome.

Try to apply the updates to your system for now, then let's see if it is fixed or if we need to take a closer look at your system.

KDE 4.2.X is fairly stable- no kdeinit errors and plasma crashes anymore.

You can log in to the backup desktop environment (IceWM, as suggested above), and from there call the control center (mcc) and perform a system upgrade. This may solve the problem.

In short, I agree with almost everything to Arctic, except the buggy nature of KDE4, which is no more much of an issue.

Off-topic:

Until yesterday, this laptop ran with Mandriva 2009.1 and KDE4. I still found it horrible to work with it and encountered many plasma crashes and freezes when customizing things within the control center. It is still bug-ridden, but is admittedly not as horrible as it was 6 months ago.

When you install Mandriva, IceWM is automatically installed by default as a fallback-alternative. When you are at the login-manager, you can select - using the symbols on the lower right side - the desktop-session you want to use. There should be options like drak3D, KDE, IceWM, secured session etc.

LXDE is most probably easier to use for the average Joe, but it's neither that lightweight, nor equally stable to IceWM. IMO this is a dubious decision... but anyway, since the only real dependencies of LXDE are GTK+ and python, it should work right-out of the box.

• 3 months later...

Hi,

Another newbie here! I'm trying to setup 2009.1 on 3 Dell Optiplex GX260 machines to be used by our staff for internet access in their breaktimes.

I also get the "Could not start KDEINIT4" error, and then the localhost login prompt.

Considering I'm a complete beginner how do I 1)bring up a GUI and 2) get the GUI to be the default?

It doesnt really matter as far as i'm concerned which GUI is used as it will only be used for web browsing.

Any help or advice gratefully received.

Thanks

John

You can do like that:

- When the login manager appears, pick LXDE and enter there.

- Open pcmanfm (the filemanager of LXDE) anf first make it show the hidden files/directories ( ctrl+h )

- Find the directory .kde4 and delete it (or better move it at another place).

- Open the control center ( mcc ) and perform a full system upgrade.

- Logout of LXDE, and now pick the KDE4 option in the login manager, and try to login.