Hardware Modem Install Problems

Guest leefan

Guest leefan

Hi,I’m hoping someone will have patience to help me through this. I purchased a USR modem (3cp2977). I am using Mandriva 2008 on a amd 2800+ with 512 mb ram, 80 gb hd.It list the modem as Unknown/others, as 56k Model 5610. This hardrive is partitioned in two with windows and mandriva. The modem works fine under windows. I can’t seem to get the modem to connect. What I have done is, under the control center, clicked on Network and Internet, clicked on set up new network interface… then Anolog telephone modem (pots). It then says, select a modem to configure. The only choice is Manual. I chose ttys4/com5. I then chose edit manually. I then fill in all the account info. I then choose automatic for the next 3. I get to where it ask if I want to connect to the internet now, I choose yes. I then get the message the system does not seem to be connected to the internet. Do I need to download and install the proper driver for this modem? I am not familiar with terminal but if someone can give me line for line instructions, I think I could do it. Thank you for any help, it would be greatly appreciated.

Doug

Guest leefan
You will need the Linuxant driver, which, sadly enough, is capped at 14.4 kbps.

The fullefatured driver costs money.

Hi, Thanks for the reply. I tried a different modem (conexant / HSF 56K HSFi modem). What is happening now is I run the setup like before, when I get to the part where it ask if I want to try the connection now, I hear the modem dial up, then the usual squealing noise, then I hear it disconnect. Then it says I don't appear to be connected to the internet. Please reconfigure your connection. I feel that I am getting close. I know I am probably not giving you enough info! I tried setting up the modem manually choosing different ports, but I couldn't even get it to dial up. Any suggestions on what I could do. Any help would be greatly appreciated!!

Doug