aureal sound card

Guest Brit

hey, brit

yeah i've been having the exact same problem as you are. basically, like you, i'm just learning mandrake and i haven't had many problems up until it comes to installing the sound card drivers. Im getting the same error message, "No aureal soundcard detected!" The troubleshooting file is retarded, because My aureal soundcard works in windows and functions fine.

someone help us!

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

hey, brit

yeah i've been having the exact same problem as you are. basically, like you, i'm just learning mandrake and i haven't had many problems up until it comes to installing the sound card drivers. Im getting the same error message, "No aureal soundcard detected!" The troubleshooting file is retarded, because My aureal soundcard works in windows and functions fine.

someone help us!

• 2 weeks later...

Brit,

Hang in there... I've been trying all the same things you have, with no success (so far over 20 man hours). I have an au8820 and am real curious to see if you get yours working. I'm probably just going to go out and buy an ALSA compatible sound card tho. It has been a real learning experience.

Also, big thanks to all responders... been trying the same suggestions as Brit

Regards

Dave

P.S. Anyone care to suggest a good (cheap) Linux PCI sound card with analog game port?

i have an aureal soundcard and here's how i got mine working. the problem i had is that the au8820 module i needed to load needs to be loaded by force with "insmod -f au8820". first i added this to /etc/rc.d/rc.local:

modprobe soundcore > /dev/null
insmod -f au8820 > /dev/null

and delete (or comment out) these lines in /etc/modules.conf, if they're there:

alias char-major-14 sound
alias sound-slot-0 sound
alias sound au8820
alias midi au8820

hope this works for you

EDIT: it shouldn't make a difference, but i used the cvs version

Edited by beesea