aureal sound card

Guest Brit

The readme says the following:

Problem: Compliation fails with a "No Aureal Vortex soundcard detected!" error.

Solution: You do not have an Aureal Vortex card in this computer or the card is

dead.  Check to make sure the soundcard is firmly in its slot.

You can manually specify the card you want to compile a module for by

providing the appropriate option to 'make'.

Examples:  make au8830

make au8820

make au8810

To figure out which of the above options you need, see the

"Supported Sound Cards" section of this file.

Note: It is doubtful that this will solve your problem.  Your hardware

is most likely to be the issue.

Make sure the soundcard is properly plugged in etc... and then try the appropriate make as above.

This is the last post I'll make tonight as I need to sleep - but I'll pick it up tomorrow morning if you have any problems - we can solve this!

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

hey again...just got back from work. i know its late 4.00pm ( i work late hours)

Anyway i know that it is a vortex 2 so i am assumming that it is a au8830 card so at the command propt i typed:

[root@localhost aureal]# make au8830

gcc -M -I/lib/modules/2.4.21-0.13mdk/build/include au_vortex.c > au_vortex.dep

gcc -M -I/lib/modules/2.4.21-0.13mdk/build/include au_vortex.c | sed s/.o/.dep/ >> au_vortex.dep

gcc -M -I/lib/modules/2.4.21-0.13mdk/build/include au_utils.c > au_utils.dep

gcc -M -I/lib/modules/2.4.21-0.13mdk/build/include au_utils.c | sed s/.o/.dep/ >> au_utils.dep

gcc -M -I/lib/modules/2.4.21-0.13mdk/build/include au_sndstat.c > au_sndstat.dep

gcc -M -I/lib/modules/2.4.21-0.13mdk/build/include au_sndstat.c | sed s/.o/.dep/ >> au_sndstat.dep

gcc -M -I/lib/modules/2.4.21-0.13mdk/build/include au_mixer.c > au_mixer.dep

gcc -M -I/lib/modules/2.4.21-0.13mdk/build/include au_mixer.c | sed s/.o/.dep/ >> au_mixer.dep

gcc -M -I/lib/modules/2.4.21-0.13mdk/build/include au_midi.c > au_midi.dep

gcc -M -I/lib/modules/2.4.21-0.13mdk/build/include au_midi.c | sed s/.o/.dep/ >> au_midi.dep

gcc -M -I/lib/modules/2.4.21-0.13mdk/build/include au_core.c > au_core.dep

gcc -M -I/lib/modules/2.4.21-0.13mdk/build/include au_core.c | sed s/.o/.dep/ >> au_core.dep

gcc -M -I/lib/modules/2.4.21-0.13mdk/build/include au_audio.c > au_audio.dep

gcc -M -I/lib/modules/2.4.21-0.13mdk/build/include au_audio.c | sed s/.o/.dep/ >> au_audio.dep

make compile NAME=au8830 ASP_OBJ=asp30.o

make[1]: Entering directory `/root/aureal'

gcc -D__KERNEL__ -DMODULE -DAU8830 -mpentiumpro -O6 -fomit-frame-pointer -Wall -pipe -I/lib/modules/2.4.21-0.13mdk/build/include -c -o au_audio.o au_audio.c

`-mpentiumpro' is deprecated. Use `-march=pentiumpro' or `-mcpu=pentiumpro' instead.

gcc -D__KERNEL__ -DMODULE -DAU8830 -mpentiumpro -O6 -fomit-frame-pointer -Wall -pipe -I/lib/modules/2.4.21-0.13mdk/build/include -c -o au_core.o au_core.c

`-mpentiumpro' is deprecated. Use `-march=pentiumpro' or `-mcpu=pentiumpro' instead.

gcc -D__KERNEL__ -DMODULE -DAU8830 -mpentiumpro -O6 -fomit-frame-pointer -Wall -pipe -I/lib/modules/2.4.21-0.13mdk/build/include -c -o au_midi.o au_midi.c

gcc -D__KERNEL__ -DMODULE -DAU8830 -mpentiumpro -O6 -fomit-frame-pointer -Wall -pipe -I/lib/modules/2.4.21-0.13mdk/build/include -c -o au_mixer.o au_mixer.c

gcc -D__KERNEL__ -DMODULE -DAU8830 -mpentiumpro -O6 -fomit-frame-pointer -Wall -pipe -I/lib/modules/2.4.21-0.13mdk/build/include -c -o au_sndstat.o au_sndstat.c

gcc -D__KERNEL__ -DMODULE -DAU8830 -mpentiumpro -O6 -fomit-frame-pointer -Wall -pipe -I/lib/modules/2.4.21-0.13mdk/build/include -c -o au_utils.o au_utils.c

gcc -D__KERNEL__ -DMODULE -DAU8830 -mpentiumpro -O6 -fomit-frame-pointer -Wall -pipe -I/lib/modules/2.4.21-0.13mdk/build/include -c -o au_vortex.o au_vortex.c

ld -m elf_i386 -r au_audio.o au_core.o au_midi.o au_mixer.o au_sndstat.o au_utils.o au_vortex.o asp30.o -o au8830.o

make[1]: Leaving directory `/root/aureal'

Ok i thought tthat was success so i then thought i had to make install, this is what i got:

[root@localhost aureal]# make install

Makefile:122: No Aureal Vortex soundcard detected!

Makefile:123: *** See the "Troubleshooting" of the README file for help. Stop.

[root@localhost aureal]# make install au8830

ld -m elf_i386 -r au_audio.o au_core.o au_midi.o au_mixer.o au_sndstat.o au_utils.o au_vortex.o -o .o

mkdir -p /lib/modules/2.4.21-0.13mdk/drivers/sound

cp -f au88*.o /lib/modules/2.4.21-0.13mdk/drivers/sound

/sbin/depmod -a

depmod: *** Unresolved symbols in /lib/modules/2.4.21-0.13mdk/misc/au8830.o

make compile NAME=au8830 ASP_OBJ=asp30.o

make[1]: Entering directory `/root/aureal'

ld -m elf_i386 -r au_audio.o au_core.o au_midi.o au_mixer.o au_sndstat.o au_utils.o au_vortex.o asp30.o -o au8830.o

make[1]: Leaving directory `/root/aureal'

[root@localhost aureal]#

Ok not sure what to do next

Sue

Not sure if it's worked or not - try:

modprobe au8830

and post your results. Hopefully nothing will happen - this means that your module has compile is installed and running in the kernel.

If that happens, try running something which makes a sound. A word of warning though - I used to use aureal drivers from soundforge and, while I'm sure yours are much more stable than mine - this was a while ago, there were some things that worked and others that never really did. For example I could hear the sound in a flash animation, but some games remained silent.

The point is - if your first attempt doesn't make any sound then try something else.

As I say, your drivers will be much more up to date than mine ever were, so you may well not get the same problems I did.

hi

Did the modprobe....results below.

[root@localhost brit]# modprobe au8830

/lib/modules/2.4.21-0.13mdk/misc/au8830.o: The module you are trying to load (/lib/modules/2.4.21-0.13mdk/misc/au8830.o) is compiled with a gcc

version 2 compiler, while the kernel you are running is compiled with

a gcc version 3 compiler. This is known to not work.

modprobe: insmod /lib/modules/2.4.21-0.13mdk/misc/au8830.o failed

/lib/modules/2.4.21-0.13mdk/drivers/sound/au8830.o: The module you are trying to load (/lib/modules/2.4.21-0.13mdk/drivers/sound/au8830.o) is compiled with a gcc

version 2 compiler, while the kernel you are running is compiled with

a gcc version 3 compiler. This is known to not work.

modprobe: insmod /lib/modules/2.4.21-0.13mdk/drivers/sound/au8830.o failed

modprobe: insmod au8830 failed

Do i have to change the compiler to a gcc 3 :(

That doesnt sound easy!!

Sue

OK - try completely removing any previous installations. If you still have the original download then do a "make uninstall" may or may not work. If it doesn;t then try to manually delete the modules - the results of make install will give you a clue.

Then in your downloaded CVS do a "make clean" and then try compiling it again.

If that doesn't work then either:

1) Your attempts to compile and install the cvs version failed - despite the lack of any error messages

2) The CVS download doesn't actually compile the drivers - although the output from "make" would suggest to me that it does...

Anyway - we'll worry about those if the attempted re-install brings us back to the same place

I've just spotted the following on the project website:

Aureal makes these sound card chipsets called vortex. They released a mixed binary, source driver for linux . They had some problems, so some hackers worked on making them more stable and support the latest kernel.

This means that at least some of the driver is pre-compiled and that's causing the problem...

This may be fatal - but give me some time to check out the options...

OK - here are some options - these may or may not work, only one way to find out :wink: :

1) apaprently the latest version of ALSA has support for au8830 try here for the latest ALSA drivers for au8830. You will need to look around on this board/mandrake docs to figure out ALSA. There is more help here if you need it. I have no idea how far in development or stability these drivers are!

2) You can get more up to date versions of the drivers (maybe more up to date) here Here are some notes on doing this from the aureal forum:

Now, here's what you have to do to install the driver.

1. Extract the file: 'tar xzf au88xx-1.1.3.1.tar.gz'

2. Enter the directory that was created: 'cd au88xx-1.1.3.1'

3. Build the driver: 'make CFDEVEL=-DAU_AUDIO_C_NEW_REMAP_PAGE_RANGE'

4. If no errors are reported, install the driver: 'make install' (must be done as the root user)

Possible problems you'll run into:

1. The build fails.

solution: The kernel-source rpm is not installed. Install it.

2. The build works, and the install works, but there is no sound.

solution: The driver is installed but not loaded. Try 'modprobe au8830'

Try one of these and post back with problems/results. Also spend some time on the aureal help forums looking to see if anyone else has had similar problems

I am becoming more convinced that this is doable - you may just need to do a little research is all!

Keep going - you can learn loads, and you might even end up with a working driver :wink:

Hi

Ok i spent most of the night reading.

First of all i got rid of everything that i could find on my system that related to aureal, i used the make clean command a lot.

So then i downloaded au88xx-1.1.3.2.tar.gz and tried to start all over again, but i had the same results as before. So taking advice from that forum i changed the makefile so that anything related to /sbin/lspc became /usr/bin/lspc. Ok then i used a hexeditor to change it to read gcc 3 compiler instead of gcc2. Still no luck.

Then i did a make uninstall and downloaded the alsa drivers and tried to configure them. Still no sound.

Before i did all this i could go to MCC and my sound card was detected, not anymore. I also could do sndconfig and it detected it ...now it says no sound card installed.

Not sure what i did to achieve that.

Anyway i refuse to give up, i like Mandrake and i am feeling more comfortable doing things using terminal. And i am learning a little. Just not too sure what to do next!!!

So yes yet again i am asking for a little help. Before i go to bed i am going to read more on that forum maybe i will find something.

Sue

hey phunni

Yes i had already installed the kernel source after i first started having problems

[root@localhost brit]# rpm -qi kernel-source

Name : kernel-source Relocations: (not relocateable)

Version : 2.4.21 Vendor: MandrakeSoft

Release : 0.13mdk Build Date: Fri 14 Mar 2003 03:46:01 PM EST

Install date: Fri 26 Sep 2003 04:52:06 PM EDT Build Host: bi.mandrakesoft.com

Group : Development/Kernel Source RPM: kernel-2.4.21.0.13mdk-1-1mdk.src.rpm

Size : 160548231 License: GPL

Packager : Mandrake Linux Team <http://www.mandrakeexpert.com>

URL : http://www.kernel.org/

Summary : The source code for the Linux kernel.

Description :

The kernel-source package contains the source code files for the Linux

kernel. These source files are needed to build most C programs, since

they depend on the constants defined in the source code. The source

files can also be used to build a custom kernel that is better tuned to

your particular hardware, if you are so inclined (and you know what you're

doing).

Ok then i ran tht command from the link you sent me this is what i get:

[root@localhost brit]# /sbin/lspci -v

00:00.0 Host bridge: Intel Corp. 440BX/ZX/DX - 82443BX/ZX/DX Host bridge (rev 03)

Flags: bus master, medium devsel, latency 64

Memory at ec000000 (32-bit, prefetchable)

Capabilities: [a0] AGP version 1.0

00:01.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corp. 440BX/ZX/DX - 82443BX/ZX/DX AGP bridge (rev 03) (prog-if 00 [Normal decode])

Flags: bus master, 66Mhz, medium devsel, latency 64

Bus: primary=00, secondary=01, subordinate=01, sec-latency=64

Memory behind bridge: e8100000-e8ffffff

Prefetchable memory behind bridge: f8000000-f8ffffff

00:07.0 ISA bridge: Intel Corp. 82371AB/EB/MB PIIX4 ISA (rev 02)

Flags: bus master, medium devsel, latency 0

00:07.1 IDE interface: Intel Corp. 82371AB/EB/MB PIIX4 IDE (rev 01) (prog-if 80 [Master])

Flags: bus master, medium devsel, latency 64

I/O ports at 1020

00:07.2 USB Controller: Intel Corp. 82371AB/EB/MB PIIX4 USB (rev 01) (prog-if 00 [uHCI])

Flags: bus master, medium devsel, latency 64, IRQ 9

I/O ports at 1000

00:07.3 Bridge: Intel Corp. 82371AB/EB/MB PIIX4 ACPI (rev 02)

Flags: medium devsel, IRQ 9

00:0b.0 VGA compatible controller: ATI Technologies Inc Radeon RV100 QY [Radeon 7000/VE] (prog-if 00 [VGA])

Subsystem: ATI Technologies Inc Radeon 7000

Flags: bus master, stepping, medium devsel, latency 66, IRQ 9

Memory at f0000000 (32-bit, prefetchable)

I/O ports at 1400

Memory at e8000000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable)

Expansion ROM at <unassigned> [disabled]

Capabilities: [50] Power Management version 2

00:0f.0 Communication controller: Lucent Microelectronics 56k WinModem (rev 01)

Subsystem: GVC Corporation: Unknown device 0443

Flags: medium devsel, IRQ 10

Memory at e8014800 (32-bit, non-prefetchable)

I/O ports at 1030

I/O ports at 1800

Capabilities: [f8] Power Management version 2

00:11.0 FireWire (IEEE 1394): Texas Instruments FireWire Controller (rev 01) (prog-if 10 [OHCI])

Subsystem: Sony Corporation 8032 OHCI i.LINK (IEEE 1394) Controller

Flags: bus master, medium devsel, latency 64, IRQ 9

Memory at e8014000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable)

Memory at e8010000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable)

Capabilities: [44] Power Management version 1

00:13.0 Ethernet controller: Linksys Network Everywhere Fast Ethernet 10/100 model NC100 (rev 11)

Subsystem: Linksys: Unknown device 0574

Flags: bus master, medium devsel, latency 64, IRQ 11

I/O ports at 2000

Memory at e8014c00 (32-bit, non-prefetchable)

Expansion ROM at <unassigned> [disabled]

Capabilities: [c0] Power Management version 2

01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: Matrox Graphics, Inc. MGA G200 AGP (rev 01) (prog-if 00 [VGA])

Subsystem: Matrox Graphics, Inc. MGA-G200 AGP

Flags: bus master, medium devsel, latency 128, IRQ 11

Memory at f8000000 (32-bit, prefetchable) [disabled]

Memory at e8100000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [disabled]

Memory at e8800000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [disabled]

Capabilities: [dc] Power Management version 1

Capabilities: [f0] AGP version 1.0

Ok from there i reloaded the driver make au8830 (thats the only way i can get anything to happen)

Everything seemed fine and then make install au8830 again seemed ok

i red on that forum to try this

insmod soundcore

insmod -f au8830.o

which i did this is what i get:

[root@localhost au88xx-1.1.3.2]# insmod soundcore

Using /lib/modules/2.4.21-0.13mdk/kernel/drivers/sound/soundcore.o.gz

insmod: a module named soundcore already exists

[root@localhost au88xx-1.1.3.2]# insmod -f au8830.o

Warning: loading au8830.o will taint the kernel: no license

See http://www.tux.org/lkml/#export-tainted for information about tainted modules

Warning: loading au8830.o will taint the kernel: forced load

au8830.o: init_module: No such device

Hint: insmod errors can be caused by incorrect module parameters, including invalid IO or IRQ parameters.

You may find more information in syslog or the output from

I know i am missig something just cant see it

Sue

hi agian

decided for one last time to get rid of everything that relates to au8830 on my system and start from scratch.

Silly question but can i just delete all the files that this relates too or will it cause problems.????

If it doesnt work after cleaning everything up then i wil run to the store and buy a new sound card.

Sue

Try and do a "make uninstall" if this doesn't work, then you can just delete the appropriate files.

Also do "make clean"

If it doesnt work after cleaning everything up then i wil run to the store and buy a new sound card.

This seems pretty rubbish after all the effort you've put in but, saying that, it may be a good idea anyway as these aureal drivers are always going to be a little quirky...

I used to have an aureal card and ended up simply replacing it with a cheap Creative card - cost me £10

Worked like a charm... :wink: