Customise system sounds in 2009.1 / Gnome?

mittfh

Silly question, but is it possible to customise system sounds in 2009.1 / Gnome any more?

According to Sound Preferences, I can choose a theme (well, Default or Ia Ora) and the alert sound (from a predefined list), but absolutely nothing else.

The new wav it uses for the startup (well, login) sound doesn't appear to reside in /usr/share/sounds with all the rest either (otherwise I would have experimented with a spot of renaming...)

I can understand a desire to hide this from novice users, but at least they could have coded in an "Advanced" button for those of us that want to customise and tweak...

Maybe their logic is that Gnome/Canonical have picked the most sexy system sounds for ya, and they won't let you ruin their masterpiece with ugly noises? :D

Actually, the Gnome ***VISIBLE*** settings are lacking in so many ways, that this one has never bothered me that much...

The Gnome system sounds are in the gnome-audio package. That package installs them to ‎/usr/share/sounds. I don't have Gnome installed to check this, but I think if you go to System > Preferences > Sound, and click on the 'Sounds' tab, you should be able to change these sounds with the gui.

I have gnome-audio (the bulk of the files) and gnome-audio-extra (aka card_shuffle.wav and phone.wav - yes, an entire package for 2 wav files!) installed.

I have various sound themes stored in /usr/share/sounds, but none are picked up other than default (Freedesktop) and ia_ora (which just contains login, logout, dialog-warning and dialog-error - plus a whole bunch of 0 byte "disabled" files). It appears to be using the Freedesktop set, minus the logout/shutdown wav (it exists and works if I play it from Nautilus, but it doesn't appear to be attached to the logout/shutdown event)

A possible clue to adding extra themes is in /usr/share/doc/gnome-audio/README:

This module holds sound files for a default GNOME set. Stick them in the 'sounds' directory here, or a subdirectory thereof - the whole tree will be copied over into $(gnome_prefix)/share/sounds.

Please remember to add these sound files with the '-kb' option (to tell CVS to treat them as binary files rather than text files).

But the more I read that, the more mystified I become. The second sentence suggests I can create a "Sounds" folder in /usr/share/doc/gnome-audio/ then drag'n'drop files into that - then some automated process copies them over into /usr/share/sounds. OK, that sounds simple enough. But what about that mysterious third sentence?

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.