Mandrake9.2

hirohitosan

Hi there.

I raised up with Mdk9.2 on my old computer Toshiba Tecra 510CDT (P1, 148MB ram, 40GB HDD). I have some problems with my PCMCIA card.

When I stop the computer the servive cardmgr doesn't stop. It report:

unregister_netdevice: waiting for eth0 to became free. Usage count =2

And because of that the system doesn't stop and I have to push the "reset" button.

How can I solve that?

thankx

If stopping the network first doesn't work for you, you can use cardctl. In a terminal (as root) do

cardctl ident

this should give you the socket #. Now use the socket # (I will use 0 for this example) and do

cardctl suspend 0

now you should be able to shutdown your system, without using the reset button.

Thanks Greg2, I did

cardctl suspend 0

and my PCMCIA stoped but when I reboot the same message:

Shuting down loopback interface
Stopping pcmcia: cardgr [707]: executing: './network stop eth0'
unregistered_netdevice ......

ufff and I had to use again "reset" botton

When booting the network interface is bring up before PCMCIA card, so bringing up network report [failed] and after pcmcia start the network is on.

and Mandrake9.2 was the maximum that I can put on my old box

any sugestions

A Pentium I with 148 MB should run the current Mandriva (the kernel is i586 optimized, if I'm not mistaken-so it should work, while i686 should not) and a light DE (XFCE4 or LXDE) rather decently- no real multitasking, OpenOffice should be rather too heavy, but most things, including firefox, gimp, geeqie, mplayer... should run at tolerable speeds.

Mandrake 9.2 is running kernel 2.4.XX, which is, errr, old.

Another idea could be Puppy Linux- great performance on old hardware, quite easy to set up, and rather pretty and fullfeatured (from gui, not cli) for such a minimalistic distro. The only pain should be localization, esp. for eastern locales, which is not exactly trivial in Puppy.

Thanks scarecrow!

I tried Md2009one but doesn't boot, all distros with kernel 2.6. doesn't boot (Mandriva one, Arch, TinyMe)

I tried puppy too but it doesn't recognize my PCMCIA so I cannot networking. I'm still searching to bring up the interface

I tried DSL but when I installed on HDD it destroyed my MBR so I have to reinstall Win and everything. This distro lacks in living with other OS on HDD.

Finally Mdk9.2 was a reasonable choice.

Now I have on my box Win98SE, Mdk9.2, Puppy4.2.1, FreeBSD7.2, but just for Win and Mdk I could bring up the network. For the others I'm still searching. After finding a solution I can compare them in term of speed and everything

When booting the network interface is bring up before PCMCIA card

It has been a long time since I've used Mandrake 9.2, but I would suggest that you open your gui network interface section and remove (delete) your current network config. Then create a new network config with your pcmcia card, and set the config to (I'm not sure about these 'check box' names, but they 'should' be similar) 'do not start at boot' and 'user managed' in the gui check boxes. This should allow you to start and stop the network after the boot without any problems.

I hope that makes sense to you. :)

I also agree with scarecrow about using Puppy Linux. I've had Puppy working on some very old systems.

• 1 month later...