Video slower in 2009.1

estebanmora

I need a little help. I recently upgraded from 2009.0 to 2009.1 and sadly found that the menus and the screen rendering is slower than the previous relases of Mandriva. I have a ATI Radeon X300 SE (detected as X1950 by Mandriva) video card with 128 MB Ram that have worked fine with previous releases of Mandriva.

For example, when I click to open the system menu (kicker) I have to wait about 2 segund for the menu to appear. If I drag a window thru the screen the I can see like copies of the screen as the window move. I will appreciate any help.

Unfortunately, the only driver which used to work and provide hardware-accelerated 3D on ATi cards is no longer working with the new xorg-server 1.6.X

There has been limited success with new catalyst releases, but overall, the results are far from satisfactory.

This is neither Mandriva's, nor xorg'd fault. Simply anough, and unfortunately enough, the ATi devs have proved themselves unable to maintain a reliable 3D-enforced driver up to now.

I need a little help

I've updated my pc (yesterday) it says it had to update some codeina codecs.. and other things...so I thought "ok there's no problem"....after update I turn it off went to sleep...wake up this morning and the video was a little slow, having some lags just playing an avi video..(I didn't had that problem) so I thought it was because I was doing many tasks at the same time...finished those task..I saw the video with its lags...turn it off again...and tonight the problem still...

those are minor lags but its not a good sign... what can I do?

any help were to begin?

Edited by demonseth17

The reply from David was correct, my video card isn't supported anymore by the latest xorg server (1.6). So I return to Mandriva 2009.0 and the problem was solved. It's a shame but I understand. I will buy a new video card and try with 2009.1 later. But, just to mention, in the couple of days that I use 2009.1 I could watch videos without problems. The real problem was with the graphical interface responding slowly. Like waiting a couple of seconds for the kicker menu to appear, etc.

I tried the following suggestions from https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Common_F11_bugs in Mandriva 2009.1 and they help quite a bit for speeding up 2D rendering for me. That means that browser and application windows write to the screen quite a bit faster. I can move windows around the screen with much less lag. There is a third option that I did not try, add Option "AccelDFS" "off" to xorg.conf.

Miscellaneous problems with ATI / AMD graphics adapters

As with the Intel driver, the Radeon driver for ATI / AMD graphics adapters is going through substantial changes, and it is worth noting some configuration options that may help address various problems with such adapters. If you are experiencing failure to start the graphical desktop, hanging or freezing, corruption, or slow performance with an ATI / AMD graphics adapter, you may try the following.

Some issues may be worked around by disabling kernel mode setting. To do this, add nomodeset as a kernel parameter. If this solves your problem, please check whether a bug has already been reported for it, and if not, file a new bug report on the xorg-x11-drv-ati component, explaining your symptoms, and providing all the usual information required for X.org bug reports. In future kernel mode setting will be the only available method, and so we wish to ensure all problems caused by kernel mode setting are fixed.

If this does not resolve your issue, one other potential workaround is to change to a different acceleration method. To do this, add a line:

Option "AccelMethod" "XAA"

to the Device section of /etc/X11/xorg.conf. If that file does not exist, you can run system-config-display as root to create it. Again, if doing this works around the problem you are experiencing, please check whether a bug report on the problem has already been filed, and if not, please file a new bug report on the xorg-x11-drv-ati component, explaining your symptoms, and providing all the usual information required for X.org bug reports. These legacy acceleration methods will be removed in future, so any bugs in the new acceleration method (EXA) need to be fixed.

Slow 3D performance on ATI / AMD graphics adapters

The use of kernel modesetting is known to have an adverse impact on 3D performance for ATI / AMD graphics adapters. If you notice poor 3D performance (and better 3D performance is more important to you than smooth graphical boot), disabling kernel modesetting should improve this somewhat. To disable kernel modesetting, add nomodeset as a kernel parameter.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.