Installing ATI drivers

Rowan

I recently did a complete install of 2009.1 powerpack over 2006 pwp so that everything would be clean and fresh. Generally I like what I have found - it is just different. The one thing that has upset me is that my Radeon 9700 pro graphics card is no longer supported by Mandriva - therefore I am having to run just plain open source drivers (apparently) which just don´t let me play doom3 or quake4.

I don´t want to have to go to the trouble of buying a new model graphics card whenmy cureent one is working just fine. When can I download the latest drivers available for my system?

I have tried getting them directly from ATI but they give me errors.

Cheers

[moved from Software by spinynorman]

Older ATI cards aren't supported by the latest ATI driver, and the previous driver doesn't compile on latest kernels, although I've read there's a patch somewhere on Internet for doing this compilation successfully…

You should revert to older kernel and ATI driver (but then you're on your own, with help from the community), or go back to Mandriva 2009.0 (which still has the right driver), or try and find the above-mentionned patch.

Yves.

Actually X Server 1.6 and later are not supported by the ATI Catalyst 3 driver. Unless you stick with a distro released before Feb. 2009, that uses X Server 1.5 or earlier, you will not be able to use the ATI propriatary driver with the Radeon 9700. This situation is going to be true of all the up-to-date distros. If you want to use the propriatary ATI driver, you might want to use Mandriva 2008.1, which has been heralded as one of the best Mandriva releases. Myself, I am using the open source driver on 2009.1 PWP, just like you. I do miss the propriatary ATI driver. Hopefully the open source driver will improve soon (speed wise).

http://support.amd.com/us/gpudownload/linu...mp;lang=English

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news...m&px=NzExOQ

Canon printers are currently supported (most of them, anyway) by the Gutenprint drivers.

The only issue is that the Gutenprint drivers are capped at 600 dpi, so they aren't good enough for photo printing. Nevertheless, if you are sure about your printer's abilities, you can touch a source file and build a ppd for your Canon with just the right printer characteristics.

These of course are far from simple, even for experienced Linux users. The easy way is called Turboprint, but this isn't a free solution (or even a cheap one).

Canon printers are currently supported (most of them, anyway) by the Gutenprint drivers.

The only issue is that the Gutenprint drivers are capped at 600 dpi, so they aren't good enough for photo printing. Nevertheless, if you are sure about your printer's abilities, you can touch a source file and build a ppd for your Canon with just the right printer characteristics.

These of course are far from simple, even for experienced Linux users. The easy way is called Turboprint, but this isn't a free solution (or even a cheap one).

Never managed, after so many months, getting my LBP5000 to work.

Yes, maybe a few pages being print, but then another uphold.

Since i put in the USB-cable into my new HP Lasercolortjet CP1515n, it was installed, and worked out-of-the-box.

I have had more time to consider my options and have decided that I might upgrade my graphics card and sell my 9700 pro for what I can get for it. But my next thought is that, because I am running an Athlon XP2200 processor, going overboard on a new card will be restricted by my older processor. I have been told that any upgrade of processor wiould need a new motherboard etc because of different designs in layouts etc. Bugger.

Time to do more investigating before going further.

Cheers