Delays loading pages in Firefox [solved]

boatman9

Firefox has become slow to load pages from sites which have third party links, such as ebay. Firefox seems to stall while loading extra items commonly found on ebay pages, such as things from google analytics and pn1.adserver.yahoo.com. I am using Firefox 3.0.10 and recently did a full package update. The problem may have started immediately after the update, I'm not sure.

Anyone else have this problem?

Is the kernel ipv6 module disabled?

To find out,

#lsmod | grep net-pf-10

Or also

#lsmod | grep ipv6

(net-pf-10 is just an alias to the ipv6 module).

Also, if you are connecting via DHCP, then you're likely using your ISP's DNS servers, which may not resolve some IP's very fast. A good idea (most of the times, anyway) is switching to the OpenDNS servers, which are very fast and do not bloack any IP's by default. You must add these lines at the top of your /etc/resolv.conf configuration file:

nameserver 208.67.222.222
nameserver 208.67.220.220

and then restart the network daemon ( # service network restart )

Edited by scarecrow

Exactly, ipv6 is loaded and so it is the cause of your problem.

Within Firefox, you can go to about:config and then filter by IPV6 and disable it. You can also do it system wide by adding:

alias net-pf-10 off

to /etc/modprobe.conf or by checking /etc/sysconfig/network for ipv6 being enabled and set it to no. Then you'll be fine.

A nice add-on is 'noscript' It takes a while to sort out what to allow and what not to allow, but sure speeds up page loading. It stops google-analytics and things like that. At first you will find that a lot of sites will complain that flash is not loaded and stuff but you just allow the stuff you want with a couple of clicks. It works in Firefox but I don't know about Seamonkey.

/etc/sysconfig/network is merely one line:

NETWORKING=yes

/etc/modprobe.conf contains the following lines.

install scsi_hostadapter /sbin/modprobe ata_piix; /sbin/modprobe ahci; /bin/true
install usb-interface /sbin/modprobe ehci_hcd; /sbin/modprobe ohci_hcd; /bin/true
options snd-ac97-codec power_save=1
alias eth1 orinoco_cs
install ipv6 /bin/true

Should I delete the last line or change it to "install ipv6 /bin/false" ?

Edited by boatman9

No - just delete or comment ( # at the start of the line) the last line, and add right after it

alias net-pf-10 off

As Ian suggested.

Now- to unload the ipv6 module you must first stop the network daemon and then "modprobe -r ipv6", or windows-style, reboot...

As for a probable different behaviour of Seamonkey and Firefox, I think (not sure) that in Mandriva both are using xulrunner 1.9.X, so their behaviour should be more or less the same.

Edited by scarecrow

The ipv6 setting in Firefox was already off. I set /etc/modprobe.conf to be:

install scsi_hostadapter /sbin/modprobe ata_piix; /sbin/modprobe ahci; /bin/true
install usb-interface /sbin/modprobe ehci_hcd; /sbin/modprobe ohci_hcd; /bin/true
options snd-ac97-codec power_save=1
alias eth1 orinoco_cs
# install ipv6 /bin/true
alias net-pf-10 off

and rebooted, but problem persists. Maybe it's time to install the most recent Mandriva.

Edited by boatman9

Should I delete the last line or change it to "install ipv6 /bin/false" ?

If you're using Mandriva 2009.1, you can disable ipv6 with the gui.

If you experience sluggish response on the Internet - especially when browsing web sites - and cannot find the cause, you should try disabling IPv6. To do this, left-click the net_applet icon in the system tray this will open the Network Center, now open Advanced Settings and check Disable IPv6, then click OK and restart the system. (You can also reach the Network Center by opening the Mandriva Control Center > Network & Internet > Network Center).
From here: 2009.1_Errata#Slow_or_no_internet_response

Disabling the ipv6 option will now give you this line in /etc/modprobe.conf

[greg@halfway ~]$ cat /etc/modprobe.conf | grep -i ipv6
options ipv6 disable=1