Unable to print [solved]

payasam

I have a Samsung ML 1450 printer, which in five years has worked without trouble under every variety of Linux I have used, including Mandrake/Mandriva. However, it is not recognised on my fresh installation of MDV 2009.1. I have checked the software installed and have changed the cable. The printer prints its test page as it should. Could the trouble derive from the fact that I am running Gnome after upgrading an earlier installation of Mandriva One (KDE 4)?

I have a Samsung ML 1450 printer, which in five years has worked without trouble under every variety of Linux I have used, including Mandrake/Mandriva. However, it is not recognised on my fresh installation of MDV 2009.1. I have checked the software installed and have changed the cable. The printer prints its test page as it should. Could the trouble derive from the fact that I am running Gnome after upgrading an earlier installation of Mandriva One (KDE 4)?

have you checked that you're using that printer at the moment you're going to print?

what I mean is that before you print check if you got it selected ....or try to print something else with another software/application...

Parallel port, David. Guess I need to go to Google.

[edit] Once I knew what to search for, finding the fix was immediate. It is to do a chmod 700 on /usr/lib/cups/backend/parallel. That should be done also on .../hal and .../usb when appropriate.

What a needless damn headache. This is not the sort of stupid problem one expects from a mature distribution.

Edited by payasam

It happens across other distros as well, so you can't just blame Mandriva for it. Maybe for the next release, they'll incorporate the change, then it'll be fine.

Can't set up the printer in MCC, ds17. No way it'll show up in an application.

but how did you print the test without MCC configuration??? mine never did that without a driver and "task-printing-epson" and other packages... :unsure:

You are right, Ian, but as a Sanctimonious Old Fart (S.O.F., ver. MCML) I shall say that my bumping you off cannot be justified by pointing to the many murders for which the late lamented Bluebeard was responsible.

My printer has a self test, ds17, as yours probably does as well. The printer does not need even to be connected to a computer. I press a couple of buttons in the specified way and out comes a test print-out.

I should say here that I ran into what might be called a bug. One of the drivers I had installed, in my effort to see that the printer had all the software it needed, had to do with OKI4 printers. This set a "daemon" running, and that gummed up the works. All the applications I ran, kept crashing. I noticed the OKI4 messages on the scrolling screen and removed the offending stuff. All is well again.

My printer has a self test, ds17, as yours probably does as well. The printer does not need even to be connected to a computer. I press a couple of buttons in the specified way and out comes a test print-out.

I should say here that I ran into what might be called a bug. One of the drivers I had installed, in my effort to see that the printer had all the software it needed, had to do with OKI4 printers. This set a "daemon" running, and that gummed up the works. All the applications I ran, kept crashing. I noticed the OKI4 messages on the scrolling screen and removed the offending stuff. All is well again.

well you may be right but I thought you ran the print test from MCC..my bad :mellow: