bad interpreter: Permission denied (as normal user)

paCkeTroUTer

Ok now I have been thinking on what are my options to proceed. Is it better if I use the new user account I created and move on or rectify the current users setup.

If I use the new user, How can I copy all the settings across. I will need to copy all my emails and email settings(which is most important). Apart from that I have installed some packages:

JavaSDK

Mozilla 1.4

MozillaFirebird

Zend IDE(has some files in home dir)

gaim

I beleive all the apps have installed them into /usr/local or /bin.

I know my mail resides in /home/jeffery/mail but where should I look for its settings ? Also I need to get my KAddress settings and all the addresses I have in them.

Thanks for all your help.

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

JavaSDK - just set the JAVA_HOME and CLASSPATH variable in your ~/.bash_profile/~/.bashrc. and dont forget to include $JAVA_HOME/bin to your $PATH

Mozilla 1.4 - just copy the whole ~/.mozilla folder

MozillaFirebird - just copy the directory where you extracted this to. if you dont have any bookmarks then you could just extract a new copy from the binary cmopressed file that you used before.

Zend IDE(has some files in home dir) - this i dont know. if this was installed in the system then you probably just need to copy ~/.zend or something.

gaim - just copy ~/.gaim

~ is $HOME or the user's home directory. all files preprended with a dot (.) is a hidden file. you could view them with

ls -A ~

you could try it first on a dummy user before you delete your current user or wait for confirmation. :#:

ciao!

JavaSDK  - just set the JAVA_HOME and CLASSPATH variable in your ~/.bash_profile/~/.bashrc. and dont forget to include $JAVA_HOME/bin to your $PATH

Ok I have migrated most of my former user settings into the new account and everything seems to be working smoothly.

Now could you explain in detail on how to set the path for java ? I am afraid I must have not done it for my former account as well. The instructions I got from sun website didn't contain anything to set the path.

How do I confirm that the path is or is not set ? Thanks