Hotkey to switch desktops?

javaguy

Can I ask another stupid question? In a previous incarnation of KDE I could ctl-tab to switch between virtual desktops. I can't seem to do that any more and can't for the life of me figure out how to set up a hotkey to do it. Where did this go, and how do I get it back?

at a guess.

ctrl-alt left(and right) arrow

I think (not a kde user :) )

that works if you're using compiz...cuz I've tried that using KDE4, Gnome, LXDE, Xfce (I mean Ctrl-alt-left/right)...and none works with that hotkey unless you have compiz XD...that's in my case I don't know if anyone tried that before without compiz..

if you install compiz do it ...

I don't have compiz and CTRL-ALT-(LEFT or RIGHT) arrow works perfectly fine. It has been standard for like ages at least in Gnome anyway and not reliant on compiz or any other 3D desktop effect.

Just a stupid question: Why do you use compiz (fusion) with KDE4?

The embedded KDE4 window manager effects with composite enabled may not be as impressive as the ones from Compiz, but that are quite good, and they consume very little resources.

I only use compiz-fusion under XFCE4 and LXDE, where the WM effects are very spartan/nonexistent, respectively. Under KDE4, I do not use compiz at all.

Ctl-tab does nothing for me.

I'm curious--did you guys do anything special when you installed?

All I did was boot the One disc, click the Install icon on the desktop and install it to a blank partition. It runs beautifully--there are all kinds of things I like about it. I just miss my hotkey to switch desktops.

I don't have compiz and CTRL-ALT-(LEFT or RIGHT) arrow works perfectly fine. It has been standard for like ages at least in Gnome anyway and not reliant on compiz or any other 3D desktop effect.

well in my case it didn't worked without compiz...and I've used mandriva since spring 2007 and that hotkey never worked...could be hardware related?...but I think it is software or configuration cuz when 2008.0 was released I installed it on another pc (I've always used my notebook, and still using it) but it was a special case and that hotkey didn't worked without compiz...

and scarecrow

"Just a stupid question: Why do you use compiz (fusion) with KDE4?

The embedded KDE4 window manager effects with composite enabled may not be as impressive as the ones from Compiz, but that are quite good, and they consume very little resources.

I only use compiz-fusion under XFCE4 and LXDE, where the WM effects are very spartan/nonexistent, respectively. Under KDE4, I do not use compiz at all."

well you're right...may not be impressive but compiz is an option...and I usually don't run any video related (games, video editing..) application, I like compiz style, it's effects,... B)

I think whether I have compiz + KDE4 skins my pc looks pretty cool ;), but right now I'm using more Gnome than KDE4...but compiz makes it better B)