rpmv running?

neddie

Is there a reason why a process called "rpmv" (something to do with verifying rpms?) should be running?

It starts the hard drive chattering and blinks the hard drive light, even though I'm not doing anything to do with rpms right now and haven't installed any new ones for a while. Is it some kind of periodic check? I've noticed it a few times now with 2009.0 but never noticed it before...

It might be triggered by 'msec' the Mandriva security package, which runs daily checks from cron. I have seen it on 2008.1 too, so it's nothing new (but you might have chosen a different security level in 2009 or the defaults have changed).

Edited by tux99

It might be triggered by 'msec' the Mandriva security package, which runs daily checks from cron. I have seen it on 2008.1 too, so it's nothing new (but you might have chosen a different security level in 2009 or the defaults have changed).

it does? I should be very focus on my reading and learning that I didn't notice that, what I do recognize is a connection check or port checks that mandriva does...but packages? :unsure:

msec also runs a check of all installed software and checks (AFAIK) two things:

* config files belonging to packages which have been changed (rpm -vA

* files belonging to packages modified in system

I believe /usr/bin/msec_find is actually managing this but not 100% certain.