Is it worth it?

Guest dbc254

Guest dbc254

I want to reload 2008.1. I thought I read somewhere, that if I put / on one drive and /home on the other, that I would experience a speed increase vs both partitions on one drive [have this at present] I have a 100gb and an 80gb drive. Is it worth the bother of reinstalling?

You might quite likely get a speed increase, it depends on your usage patterns, the speed of the 2 drives, and how they are connected.

You don't need to re-install Mandriva to do that, just create a filesystem on the second hdd, mount it temporarily on some other mount point (for example /home2), login directly as root and copy over all content from /home to /home2.

Then unmount the old /home, change the /etc/fstab to point to the new home filesystem device and mount it.

If you do it just to get a speed increase, I thiink you might be disappointed.

It's a good idea for other reasons too, like getting a clean separation of the system from the user data. Next time you do another install on top, you can format / without affecting the /home partition, which is quite convenient!

Generally, it's a very good idea to have separate / and /home partitions for backup purposes, as well as other things (e.g. reiserfs 3.6 is still the fastest for / while for /home you may wish to use ext4 or xfs), but I highly doubt that putting them in different HD's will help, speed-wise.

One way which gives extra speed if your system is low on RAM and swapping a lot is by putting swap partitions on both. I had this and found that even hooking up one the first generation WS passports as additional swap speeded up large image-file editing with GIMP considerably. Two reasons: more swap space and Linux can spread what it wants to swap over two drives. Don't expect miracles though and if you really need speed to solve this -- buy more RAM.

Generally, it's a very good idea to have separate / and /home partitions for backup purposes, as well as other things (e.g. reiserfs 3.6 is still the fastest for / while for /home you may wish to use ext4 or xfs), but I highly doubt that putting them in different HD's will help, speed-wise.

I agree..I don't think you would get more speed...you're mounting a different device to your / and it could be IDE/SATA...it may reduce more your speed than running partitions (reading 1 HD at the time) I don't think you should get more ram...as pindakoe said...I think you need a new processor if urs giving speed delays...you got swap when ram is full and mandi doesn't ask u 4 1GB of ram using more than 18 applications opened (I've tried that, is my experience)...

B)