personalising 2009.1

Rowan

Yesterday I upgraded from 2006 powerpack to 2009.1 powerpack and have run into some problems customising it to my liking.

It tells me that my trash bin is full and to empty it manually when it is already empty. Is there a fix for this bug available?

Some applications are in the ´start´ menu but, when I click on a file, I get the ´KDEInit cound not start *** - no executable found´. Whats the problem there? This only happens if I click on a file and my system chooses the application automatically - if I open the application and then open a fime then all seems to be ok.

I reloaded Doom3 and tried to play it to test the new system but have problems. When I was trying to load it in the system seemed to go into dos mode initially - which scares me. Then the game won´t start. I go into the directory where it is and click on it to start but my screen just flickers a couple of times and then ignores me.

The taskbar is driving me crazy. So far I have managerd to, accidentally, delete the Start button, minimised screens just vanish altogether, the taskbar has non-resizable sections with only one icon right in the middle and so I am getting just a little ´annoyed´.

If there are any simple answers to these problems then I would love to fix them. Cheers

I would say a lot of your problems are because you upgraded from too old a release. Normally, an upgrade should only be done with a maximum of two releases behind the current one. In this instance, anything prior to 2008.1 is not an option for upgrade.

I would create yourself a new user, and then see if a lot of your problems related to KDE, etc, disappear. If they do, then you will just need to remove all the config directories from under your existing user. These are generally all the ones hidden, and prefixed with a full stop (period in American lingo).

Backwards compatibility, regarding installs, in reality doesn't exist today.

You are far better of doing a clean install and that includes redoing/reformatting /home and redoing your user settings again in /home.

Members will have noted that recently I had a large number of posts with problems related to Firefox and Kmail. I have since proven that although I did a clean install and this included /home, the problems occurred when I copied in saved .kde and .mozilla files from 2008-Spring into 2009-Spring.

My 2009-Spring is now reasonably OK. (Kaffeine4 is a total unusable disaster. Kscd is pretty ugly and no real way of changing it other than colour.)

So I suggest following Ians advice and do as he suggests or do as I suggest, namely wipe /home clean and re-setup /home from scratch. It is much quicker and avoids problems in the first place.

Cheers. John

.....or do as I suggest, namely wipe /home clean and re-setup /home from scratch.

Just back up any data/files you want to keep before wiping. It's easier to do this though:

mv username username.old

then reboot and clean install without formatting home, and set up your new username. Then copy the files you want from username.old into your new username directory and you'll have clean config to start with your new install.