9.2 PPC?

mousematt

Sarah, which revision is yours? is it one of the new 7450's or is it the older revision? I am in absolute computing heaven with this thing. I have yet to try linux on it, my new kick is integrating X11 and OSX so seamlessless you can't tell what system your on. its harder than I thought, but I guess that makes it fun.

no way!  look at my coffee!  that would be one massive cup of joe!!  Its the 12" model.  I needed something ultra portable to bring to work and class.  This is perfect for me.

I've been considering buying an i-book or powerbook (most interested in Powerbook G4 12'' or 15 '') for quite some time now. Few questions I have:

- How big is a 12'' apple screen actually, say compared to a compaq presario 1200 (1300?)

- How smooth do things run

- would this work for a family computer (e.g. my mom, dad, bro' and sis?)

- Can I run some Linux apps from them, e.g. OpenOffice, Gaim, Mplayer?

- Is 2000$ for a G4 15'' (a bit boosted up e.g. 256 Ram) a lot of money?

Thanks, I said it in my prev post, but these macs (check out OSx Panther, there's a good article on their site) *really* got me drooling... sigh

Thanx for any insights.

Darkelve

screen is 11.1 inches, capable of a crisp 1024x768.

I have 512mgs of ram, I wish I had upgraded to 768. or even the 1.26.

It runs the mac stuff very smoothly. they take a while to start up, but once the program is running, the run nice and fast.

anyone can use osx. its still idiot proof. the blessing is that it is unix inside, so if you know what you are doing, you can still dig it to just like any other kind of -nix.

As far as your question about running linux apps? - I wrote a paper for my English 341 class in Open Office, while listening to www.bassdrive.com in XMMS. Mplayer works perfectly, and so does gaim. Xchat, KDE, GNOME, all of it. check out the fink project or opendarwin.