xsane problem [solved, sort of]

payasam

I have an Epson V100 scanner, set up with the iscan package from Avasys. Mandriva One, xsane 0.995, GIMP 2.6.

The image I see in the preview, with correct colours and brightness and contrast, is not what is saved as a TIFF file, nor what comes up in the GIMP. The help file speaks of ICC profiles in colour management but I have found no option for that.

[edit] What I wrote above was of iscan 2.3.0. I have since installed 2.19.1 and am able to scan in the GIMP with the iscan option that shows up. I have not yet tried xsane, either by itself or as a GIMP plug-in. Scanning is nowhere near as quick and easy as it was in Windows (one negative at a time rather than up to six), but at least it can be done.

Edited by payasam

Hello Payasam.

Does your Epson scanner have a firewire output as well as the usual USB ???. If it does then connect it up that way instead of using USB. Not only is it quicker but also has none of the sometime setting up difficulties . There is no need to setup any packages from Avasys or anyone else.

You only need to install sane and Xsane. They will in turn pull in the remaining packages needed. I think you have been doing the old hard road of doing things regarding scanning. :)

I only use Epson scanners and Xsane ( have done for past 5 years and 3 different Epson Models) and even with a complete OS fresh install, I have to setup NOTHING. From the moment I select Xsane from the MENU, I am able to scan immediately. The same applys to my friends Epson Multi purpose units which use USB connection. (I installed their systems too).

Cheers for now. John.

I do the same as AussieJohn. I installed sane and xsane, and that is all. My printer is an all-in-one with scanner, so it's connected via USB.

Sometimes the only additional thing you need to do is:

gpasswd -a username plugdev

is replace username with your username that you login with and add to the group plugdev. Then when you log out and back in, you'll be OK. As I said, this only needs to be done if xsane has a problem seeing your scanner. If it detects it then you don't need to do this. If it doesn't, then do this and you'll be good to go.

Scarecrow, thank you; but if I am to spend money, I'd rather do it on a dedicated film scanner which is properly supported by the free tools of Linux.