New Click'n Backup service by Mandriva

yossarian

I don't know why everybody mentions Ubuntu. Online storage services are nothing new. Maybe they are new from Linux distributors but still Mandriva is not copiing Ubuntu

I don't see it either.... :huh:

I didn't mean they were copying. I merely wanted to point out the coincidential fact that two of the most popular Linux distributors start to offer similar services roughly at the same time. Maybe it shows something (some kind of a trend, or a new business model becoming popular).

Even though I'm not personally interested in any online backup/storage solution, I think the offer is interesting and competitive.

It's success now depends first and foremost on Mandriva's capability to market it well, the best product is worth little if noone knows about it!!

I really wish they get their marketing right with this as I would be happy to see Mandriva on a more stable longterm financial footing.

I agree with tux99, let's see if they can do a good job of the Marketing side of things.

I'm not a great fan of online backup either, since I don't know how secure my data is, and what do I do if suddenly I need to restore and for some reason I don't or cannot get access to my data. Although should neither of those be a problem, then it's great if you don't want to put in place a backup server and purchase the required storage for it.

The other benefit of online backup - if your whole building burns down, at least you've still got your data offsite in a safe place to restore when you get new hardware or access to hardware via a Disaster Recovery/Business Continuity plan.