9.2 ISOs

Guest tuxthepenguin

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest josetann
For the dense among us - could we then do the following...

1. Download the i586 directory

2. Burn its contents onto a 'regular' CD

3. Create a floppy using the floppy image file

4. Put the floppy and CD into your computer and reboot

5. Install (I guess) w/ basic add-on packages

6. Find the new 9.2 repos for URPMI

7. Update the URPMI sources for main/cooker

8. Use URPMI to get all those packages that are on CD2 and 3

...sound about right?

-Quaff

Look at the size of the RPMS directory. It has all the RPMS in it, no need to hunt for CD2 and CD3. Now there's no way you'll be able to burn everything on one CD though.

Guest josetann
I should add that anon's post above linking to the entire tree is not a violation of any kind.(He is, after all, an admin! :lol: ) The caution noted in this post pertains specifically to Mandrake iso's of the new 9.2 release. :wink:

How about a self-made iso? Specifically a DVD image? I just finished making it, unfortunately contribs is too large to include as I did with 9.1. Haven't tested it yet, but the 9.1 image worked fine (it's going to take about five hours for me to download from my webserver, to my home PC here; then I can test it).

Guest tuxthepenguin
Just a note about Mandrake iso's: we would prefer to not post any links that might be construed as our trying to get around Mandrake's new distribution policy. The official Mandrake iso's will be readily available by out download sight, as soon as they are released to the general public. If you would like to share information, please do so privately, and not in a post to the forum.

Thanks to all of you for being here, and helping us maintain the best Mandrake help board on the 'net!

I should add that anon's post above linking to the entire tree is not a violation of any kind.(He is, after all, an admin! :lol: ) The caution noted in this post pertains specifically to Mandrake iso's of the new 9.2 release. :wink:

Even if we make them ?

Personally... I can´t see what all the hype is about. I only went to 9.1 a few weeks ago.

So, i´m off on holidays for 2 weeks , slipped an order in here...

& you all will have sorted any problems for me when I get back. :lol:

Just a follow-up on the new Mandrake marketing plan:

It should go without saying that there are many talented people here, and that there are ways around Mandrake's release schedule. Mandrake has a desire to relase the new 9.2 to Club members first, along with developers. Even if one does not agree with this idea, we should nevertheless support Mandrake. We would encourage communicating with them about this, but it really does not help Mandrake, linux, or the MandrakeUsers Board to ignor their plan. If you must, please keep your sharing private, and not in the forum. :wink:

It should go without saying that there are many talented people here, and that there are ways around Mandrake's release schedule. Mandrake has a desire to relase the new 9.2 to Club members first, along with developers. Even if one does not agree with this idea, we should nevertheless support Mandrake.

While in principal I agree with this, they also release the download edition completely under GPL, which allows you (arguably enourages you) to share it freely no matter how you obtained it. I also have principals which say it is wrong to release something under a license and then add extra conditions. So while I can understand their desire to make joining the mandrake club worthwhile, I'm not sure about the way they are going about it if they want to restrict the way their users can apply the GPL.

Guest Adriano

Would you mind waiting a bit before you publish the ISOs? There's people here who would like Mandrakesoft to continue making their products freely available, unlike SuSE or other distros. Are 15 days that much time to wait?

If people take the ISOs now and publish them, there's absolutely no reason for anybody to contribute to the Club, and a big? stream of revenue for the company disappears.

I am not a member of the club, so I'll have to get my CDs online in a while. But I am prepared to wait for a few days, because I cannot afford to do otherwise. Think about it.

If anyone see's any links or offers to allow people to get the ISO's or the torrent files in a post on the board please pm a mod and we will remove said references. anything not part of the post is beyond our control, but post text can not contain offers of this sort.

We, the mods and admins, have decided to support mandrakes decision and respect it. We ask merely that you do the same on this board.