Yet another PC shipping with Mandriva

pindakoe

If they supply a genuine licensed copy of OS X with the PC, then it should be legal, as the Apple license clause that restricts installations onto Apple hardware only should be unenforceable under EU law.

But if you look at their screenshots I see 'Hackintosh' mentioned... I'm not sure how legal that is...

Anyway it's refreshing to see a PC vendor preinstall Mandriva Linux instead of the usual Ubuntu.

And the Freedom Basic is essentially a Shuttle K45 barebones system which is a great inexpensive little PC, I have one and I can highly recommend it.

It's much cheaper if you buy the barebones system (only 100 pounds) and put cpu/hdd/ram in it yourself, though.

Edited by tux99

If they supply a genuine licensed copy of OS X with the PC, then it should be legal, as the Apple license clause that restricts installations onto Apple hardware only should be unenforceable under EU law.

I think you misunderstand the remit of anti-trust law, such laws are about protecting product markets (groups of similar products) from monopoly, not market sectors (groups of customers with similar needs). Apple does not have a monopoly position in the PC market.

I think you misunderstand the remit of anti-trust law, such laws are about protecting product markets (groups of similar products) from monopoly, not market sectors (groups of customers with similar needs). Apple does not have a monopoly position in the PC market.

I was not referring to anti-trust law at all, it's european consumer laws that invalidate any clauses in 'software licenses' that restrict usage.

Basically for european (EU) law, software (at least when sold to consumers) has to be treated like any other item, it can't be subject to a restrictive license (any such clauses in licenses are void).

I don't have any links here now, but I have read this numerous times with court cases that confirmed this.

Edited by tux99