No sound in skype

neddie

Skype was working fine with 2008.1, but since I installed 2009.0, I can't get any sound any more. I disabled pulseaudio from mcc, and I've fiddled with kmix and alsaconf, but I still can't even call the test service ("Problem with audio capture").

If I run krec, it complains about a missing "stereo_compressor" arts module, but then runs and the level meters react to my voice in the microphone. So I guess the microphone is working ok.

I've run alsaconf and everything looks ok. I've run kmix and tried just about every combination of mutes and levels. I've run kcontrol and tried it with and without the "Enable the sound system" checked (it's currently disabled). I've run mcc and in the sound configuration I've disabled pulseaudio. I tried the "reset to default values" button too. I've opened the skype options and tried both "default" and explicitly specifying my sound device. I can't heard the test sound, or make a test call. I've tried both with and without the "allow Skype to adjust mixer levels" checkbox.

For other applications there is no problem with sound - mplayer and amarok play music fine and as reported elsewhere, Gimp and Firefox (and mcc) make stupid beepy noises when I click on things, so it's not as if my sound isn't working at all. It's just Skype I think. (or maybe the stupid beeps are hogging the sound system and not letting Skype use it?) And yes I have rebooted.

How can I tell whether I am (or should be) running alsa or oss or artsd or pulseaudio or any of the other myriad of sound options, maybe that's the problem? :unsure:

I had the same problem, but was able to resolve it by doing what you said you already did: choose the audio driver in skype, and find the right combination in the mixer. I don't remember which mixer settings did the job, though.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.