Error setting up inter-process communications for KDE

paCkeTroUTer

Hi

This is my first major error I am facing with Mandrake 9.1 OS

I was logged on to my system as user jeffery. I decided to re-boot my machine and here I go with the following message before I get to the login dialog box:

There was an error setting up inter-process communications for KDE. The message returned by the system was:

Could not read network connection list

/home/jeffery/.DCOPserver_localhost__0

Please check that the "dcopserver" program is running.

I then click the ok button which then brings me to the login dialog box.. I enter my username password and it brings me back to the error message. I try again same thing happens in a circle.

Right now I am logged in as root without any problems. I am stumped as to what as happened :? anyone have any ideas ?

[Edit...] I just checked the process list and I find dcopserver running and under the command it shows kdeinit: dcopserver --nosid(hope that info helps)

I have been searching quiet a bit on this error and it is evident that it has been a common error happening on kde desktops. I have seen several conflicting answers to the problem. Some say to delete the .kde folder in the home directory, some say to delete the tmp directory.

So I am confused as what to do with this problem. If someone has a definate answer to this problem or a resource I can look up to fix this, it would be much appreciated. Thanks

my suggestion would be try deleting the .kde directory if this is something that doesn't occur as root. you could also try deleting the file it references. try the file first, then the .kde dir...

I can'r find the file in the location specified even when I unhide the hidden files. But when I do a locate command in CLI I can see the following:

[root@localhost jeffery]# locate DCOP

/usr/lib/libDCOP.la

/usr/lib/libDCOP.so.4

/usr/lib/libDCOP.so.4.1.0

/usr/lib/libDCOP.so

/home/jeffery/.DCOPserver_localhost__0

/home/jeffery/.DCOPserver_localhost_:0

/root/.DCOPserver_localhost__0

/root/.DCOPserver_localhost_:0

but I can't delete it. so then I deleted the .kde folder in /home/jeffery, but still no good... get the same error message on boot-up and can't login to my account.

/home/jeffery/.DCOPserver_localhost__0<!--QuoteEBegin--><!--QuoteEBegin-->/home/jeffery/.DCOPserver_localhost_:0

Did you try deleting these .DCOP* files?

# rm /home/jeffery/.DCOP*

I tried that but it comes up with an error saying location not found.

Anyway I fixed the problem now. I back tracked all what I had done in the past day and narrowed it down to a path statement I was told to setup(in a tutorial I read) for my Java sdk installation. I removed the editing I made and all is well and good. Sometimes things just drive you mad doesn't it ?

All good now :) :)