how do I stretch - without stretching...?

phunni

Mystified. I have a question.  Just how do you quickly cut out just the tomato without getting any background? 

Free handing is a real pain. And color removal just doen't work right for me. Do you set the "select" limits to just include the background or the tomato, then clean it up by hand?

I didn't cut out any of the background of the tomato. I took the original picture and cropped the very, very right side and made that the background of the new pic. I then took the original tomato pic and resized it. Because I placed the tomato pic on the left, the right side of the tomato background blends in with the rest of the background. It only took about 5 minutes. There is a way to remove a background, pixel by pixel but I don't know how to do that in Linux. I hope that makes sense! It's kind of hard to describe.

Uh:

I dunno what you mean by freehanding, unless you mean the freehand select tool. This is how you do it in the Gimp. 

Right click the image area

Click Dialogs -> Layers, Channels and Paths

Click the Channels Tab

Either right click in there and select New Layer or click the single white piece of paper in lower left.

Accept the default of 50% 

Your image will look kinda greyed out

This is a mask

(I may be using the terms backwards, but hopefully you'll know what I mean)

White takes away from the mask and black adds back to it

Click the paint brush and select a fairly large brush and choose white

Paint the tomato with it

You'll see the tomato get more clear

If you go over the edge of the tomato, select black and paint the background a little

You can change your brush sizes to get detailed and zoom in and stuff

When you're satisfied that you think all the tomato is painted and none of the background (the clearer part of the image is what is going to be selected) rightclick on the new channel in the Channel Dialog window and select "Channel to Selection". 

If you don't think the selection is just right, right-click the image and choose Select->None and go back with the white or black brush on that channel and edit. 

Once you've got a good selection, click the Layers tab and click the main layer to make it active and right click the image and choose Edit -> Copy

You can now go to your new image that has the background you want and right-click it and choose Paste.

Voila.

Photoshop has a similar thing called Layer Mask and Mask to Selection.

I just played around a bit and found that by adjusting the colors in a simple picture like the tomato you can remove all the blue then clean up the last few pixels by free hand then you can select the background then invert the selection then cut and paste to a new image.

Got everything done in about 1 minute and only selected the tomato in the end. Almost no free hand moving the mouse around stuff.