Firefox3 in Mandriva2009-Spring [solved]

AussieJohn

In attempting to just import my bookmarks from Mandriva2008-Spring into Mandriva2009-Spring, I cannot install the copied Bookmark Toolbar nor delete the default Bookmark Toolbar. This was possible in 2008-Spring when Firefox 2.5 was used but is now not possible in Firefox3 in both 2008.1 and 2009.1. In the Organise Bookmarks there used to be a choice in one of the menus to do this. Now there is no such choice. I can import the Bookmarks from my earlier OS such as the 2008-Spring, so that is not a problem, just is now no way to mount/install the imported Toolbar.

The only way that I could get the toolbar in place was to copy over the complete .mozilla folder from my 2008-Spring and overwrite the one in the new 2009.1.

( always keep copies of a number of the hidden files contained in .home/account into a safe store partition for these kind of problems)

Any ideas welcome, please.

Cheers. John.

[moved from Software by spinynorman]

I didn't have any such problems with my upgrade from 2008.1 to 2009.1 (and then subsequently back to 2009.0) - at each step all the bookmarks remained intact without me copying any folders anywhere. My home folder remained intact so the bookmarks were already there.

However I don't see why you need a menu entry to copy the bookmark toolbar - there's nothing special about them, they're just in a subfolder of the bookmarks when you do "organise bookmarks". You can copy/move/whatever you want to them without special menu entries.

This was a clean install to 2009-Spring and that included /home.

Therefore I needed to import my bookmarks including my bookmarks toolbar from my 2008 Spring. In the past this was no problem because when one opened "Organise Bookmarks", one could select the default Bookmarks Toolbar that was installed during the Firefox installation and delete it ,this then enabled the imported Bookmarks Toolbar to be installed in its place (this was not enabled to install until the default one was deleted.).

This has only become a problem since Firefox3.

Cheers. John.

I am trying to figure out how to install the Bookmarks Toolbar as shown in the accompanying snapshots. The first one is from 2008-Spring and the second is from my current, now main, 2009-Spring. It is presently in place as shown only because I Copied the entire Firefox user settings from 2008-Spring. As I moved forward from earlier Mandrivas and earlier Firefox versions I had no problems at all including 2008-Spring. But since 2008-Spring has upgraded to Firefox3 I can no longer use the old method in there anymore either.

I cannot install the Bookmarks Toolbar into position by importing the Bookmarks, (which includes the Bookmarks Toolbar Folder) from a backup file (made by exporting Bookmarks from another OS) into Bookmarks---------> Organise Bookmarks and installing the Bookmarks Toolbar into place in lieu of the Default Bookmarks Toolbar. This used to be easily done in Firefox2.5 but seems not possible in Firefox3.

I suspect that there is just a different procedure needed because surely the Firefox crew would not have overlooked this important need.

Neddie , I can understand that you certainly don't see the problem. Doing what you say certainly puts all the Bookmarks in the Bookmarks heading at the top of Firefox. The imported Bookmarks Toolbar doesn't magically put itself into the position shown. Very likely one could fiddle around copying and pasting the imported Bookmarks Toolbar titles into the default Toolbar and then delete all the Bookmarks that were in the default Toolbar. In the past it only required 4 clicks, two to delete the default toolbar and 2 clicks to install the new imported one. Was quick, easy and required no fiddling about.

Has anyone else got any suggestions, please. I am ok for now but what I am looking for is a solution for the future .

Cheers. John.

Edited by AussieJohn

Well John, I am using the latest firefox version 3.0.10 and if I open organise bookmarks there is a menu item for importing/exporting bookmarks. It does say HTML. Now whether this is different or not I don't know as I don't have an earlier version of firefox. I don't see why things should be different in Australia :D Sorry I can't offer a solution for you, but rather than not reply at all I offer what I have experienced.

Thanks Silversurfer..

Yes there is no problem in Importing bookmarks into Firefox 3 or exporting them and it is no different in Australia. :D

The problem is the Bookmarks Toolbar, that strip of website tabs you see across the lower part of the screenshots. That strip is a folder containing a number of website addresses and that folder is part of the Bookmarks list so when exporting or importing bookmarks ,that list goes with the general bookmark list. That Bookmarks Toolbar list needs to be installed for it to be viewable at the front of Firefox otherwise it can only be read by clicking on the Bookmarks button at the top to drop down the Bookmarks menu where the Bookmarks Toolbar can be read as just part of the Bookmarks Menu.

I am starting to get the impression that not many people are familiar with the Bookmarks Toolbar aspect. Which might explain why many don't seem to understand what I am getting at.

Cheers. John.

I do understand about the toolbar as I often arrange that as soon as I install from scratch, however I have never backed up the contents before as I don't have as many as you do. I have just now tried what I believe is what you are looking for and used the backup/restore menu item from within Organise Bookmarks. Before restoring I really screwed up the toolbar bookmarks. It restored just as I had it beforehand. The backed-up file had a 'json' extender. I also backed up using the HTML export/import with the same result. Are you using the Firefox from the repos? This may be different to the one I am using from the Mozilla website. Other than that I have no further ideas.

I am starting to get the impression that not many people are familiar with the Bookmarks Toolbar aspect. Which might explain why many don't seem to understand what I am getting at.
I think we all understand the bookmarks toolbar aspect. But the thing is, it's just another folder. So if you have already imported your bookmarks and can see them in the "Organise Bookmarks" list, then I think all you need to do is either copy or move the bookmarks into the shown folder. You can drag folders into there, you can shift-click and select multiple bookmarks and then copy/paste them, you can do whatever you want to do to move them into the "Bookmarks toolbar" folder. This isn't something that the firefox devs have overlooked, it's right there. And it still shouldn't take many more than four clicks, probably. Possibly even fewer.

Edit: And as for the future, just save a copy of your bookmarks.html file after you've got it how you want it, and then import from there in the future. Should work like magic.

Edited by neddie

Hi Silver surfer.

Yes I too am using the Mandriva Firefox.

To all. Yes I have always saved my bookmarks as html. Had no idea of the json filing. My practice was to export my Bookmarks as html to a safe folder in another partition I labelled zstore. Then when I installed a New OS, I would import that html file into the new Firefox. When I completed I would do the 4 clicks as I described earlier and I was away.

I never had used the Backup/Restore function in the past, didn't seem to need to. I will try that out and see if it does what i want.

Hi Neddie.

Your Quote :-

"And as for the future, just save a copy of your bookmarks.html file after you've got it how you want it, and then import from there in the future."

That is what I have been doing for years. :-)

Cheers. John.

That is what I have been doing for years.
What I meant was, maybe you have to click a couple more times this time because you're copying over bookmarks from Firefox 2 and assuming that they'll work exactly the same with Firefox 3. Once you've done the simple step of moving them to the correct place for Firefox 3, your bookmarks.html should now be right, and then it should work with the next version of Firefox 3. And it sounds like you've already fixed it anyway, just with a simple move of the bookmarks.

I've also been using the .json files since Firefox 3 was released. You will find them in the ~/.mozilla/firefox/xxxxxx.default/bookmarkbackups directory. Before I upgrade or install a new system I open Firefox and go to > Bookmarks > Organize Bookmarks > Import and Backup > Backup, then save that 'dated json' file to a convenient location. Then after you install your new system, open firefox and import it. Your bookmarks will be the same as before.

I tried the backup/restore routine. In my 2008-Spring I used the backup routine and saved the file to a usb memory stick then transferred it to my zstore in 2009-Spring.

Ran the restore and yea the Bookmarks and Bookmarks Toolbar was installed in place without further fiddling. I wish I had known this routine long ago, it would have saved the effort used in doing the import Bookmarks old routine.

I tried doing it again doing the import bookmarks routine but the Toolbar was not installed, so Firefox has definitely dropped that ability.

The new routine (for me) will be the default from now on. :D Thanks to all who offered assistance and especially who suggested Backup/Restore with the .json file. :thumbs:

Cheers. John.

SOLVED.