Mandrake club and Bittorrent

Guest anon

It seems from reading their forums that there are lots of problems with Bittorrent . So many people have a problem with it that they are building a FAQ for it.

The purpose is to build a FAQ to learn and test BitTorrent so when the ISO will be available everything will work smoothly.
Personally, i believe this is the main reason why 9.2 final has not been released yet. The management at MDK have yet again screwed up. If your behind a corporate firewall, its nigh impossible to use Bittorrent, MDK now know this, and are looking for other ways to make 9.2 available earlier to those people.

Cooker has been frozen for a few days now, the only updates have been for MDK docs. IMHO whats on cooker now, is MDK 9.2 final. I have been using it for the past week without any problems. So if you want 9.2 now.............

Caution

If your new to Mandrake Linux, or don't know the best way to update your system,wait for the ISO'S

Im sure if they posted a link to the torrent here we could help them with the faq :D

:lol:

I posted a question about bittorrent on Mandrake club forums, it had loads of views, but not one answer. so after i solved the problem, i posted again saying i had found the answer here. :P

Im sure if they posted a link to the torrent here we could help them with the faq :D

nice idea but improbable. if mandrakesoft does that then its the same as giving the release iso for public download which defeats the strategy they are trying to achieve. im not a club member but i respect those who did contribute some money to the club (pls no more arguments like i bought a box therefore im entitled too, i think that has a thread of its own).

if mandrakesoft does do it, what assurance can this board give that it wont be leaked to some linux news site? it only takes one egotistical or *generous* poster to submit it to slashdot and then the whole thing is down the tubes. :)

ciao!

whos to stop a club member or contributor from downloading the iso's and then making a mirror and releasing it there? one could take the rpm's in the cooker now and make a set of iso's out of it. the mandrake web site tells you how to make iso's from the cooker.

Guest josetann
why doesn't one of us build ISOs out of the cooker and release them on bittorrent ?

Alright, I'll do it if someone will check each file in the ISOs with the ones officially released, so I know if they needed to be updated or not.

whos to stop a club member or contributor from downloading the iso's and then making a mirror and releasing it there?

[semi-rant mode]

nothing stops them but i wish they wouldnt. mandrakesoft thought of this strategy to give added value to being a mandrakeclub member and maybe to get additional box sales. mandrakesoft needs the cash from both sources and it has been argued that if mandrakesoft goes down then a community might take up the challenge of maintaining it (or a fork of it). but why dare fate? and if mandrakesoft goes under then it would be bad for linux in general.

create an iso from cooker and release it? sure, nobody is stopping you to do that. just dont advertise it as *almost the same as what 9.2 is gonna be*. mandrakesoft may have posted the way on creating an iso for anyone to follow but you are not the official packager of mandrake. what you package may not be as good as what the official packager can do. what if the created cooker iso has some defect that is not present in the official release? what if a person who tries mandrake (or linux) for the first time got hold of your iso and used it to try linux and got discouraged? that person is gonna think "oh is this (the new release of mandrake) linux? it sucks. i should go back to other [distro | os]."

my point is that the company behind the distro is making steps to ensure its survival. you may argue that the steps being done is wrong but we dont have the right to circumvent whatever they are planning. mandrakesoft is not depriving you the right to use their software. they are only asking you to wait a little longer if you dont want to contribute via joining the club or buying a box. if you are not part of the solution, then dont go against those creating one.

thats my own opinion. and i repeat that i am neither a club member nor have bought a mdk retail box in my life. but i do want to support mdksoft and doesnt want to be another freeloader. im too old to act immature.

[/semi-rant mode]

ciao!

mandrakesoft thought of this strategy to give added value to being a mandrakeclub member and maybe to get additional box sales. mandrakesoft needs the cash from both sources and it has been argued that if mandrakesoft goes down then a community might take up the challenge of maintaining it (or a fork of it). but why dare fate? and if mandrakesoft goes under then it would be bad for linux in general.

true enough, and i bought a boxed set. mandrake 9.1 powerpack. i preordered the set, and waited, and waited, and waited. my set arrived long after the iso's were available. i tried using the web help that comes with the boxed set, and got no help, not even one reply. i love mandrake the OS, but as a company, they need some serious work.

i'll agree that having mandrake go under would be a bad thing. for one i'd miss my favorite distro, but wal-mart also sells pc's with mandrake linux preinstalled. theirs only one other distro that comes preinstalled. any one wanna guess? its Lindows (pukes). Dell, HP, Gateway, and IBM also sell pc's with linux. whether its preinstalled that i dont know. Dell, HP, Gateway, and IBM also offer more flavors and no Lindows (thank heavens).

mandrake (as far as i can tell) doesnt have stock. their not on NASDAQ or DOW JONES. redhat is. i would like to see mandrake in the stock market (i'd like to buy mandrake stock), but for now i'm happy that their out of chapter 11.

best buy is starting to consider puttting linux on display. to actually put pc's with linux preinstalled on display. which distro would they go with? i havent a clue. i keep tryin to get best buy and circuit city to do linux. it looks like best buy might some time soon.

should we make iso's? ehh, debatable. maybe it would light a fire under mandrake. another thing to think about. there are over 180 distros, do you really think one more is gonna make any difference? mandrake started off as a clone of redhat, but many distros remain small. like sorceror. its a variant of gentoo, but about to go under cause it just isnt popular enough. how many mirrors are there? quite alot. if someone did this they would need; a static ip addy, and a quick way to advertise their mirror, to pose any threat to mandrake. other wise it might as well be kind of an ftp thing. a peer to peer thing.

your concern for the company is admirable. i can think of ways to improve the distro, but improving the company seems to be a more illusive task.