Firefox3 in Mandriva2009-Spring

AussieJohn

In 2008-Spring (with Firefox3) I had a font size that enabled most of my Bookmarks in the Bookmarks Toolbar to be visible on the toolbar.

Despite having identical font size settings in the Firefox3 in Mandriva2009-Spring, the font size is slightly larger in the Bookmark Toolbar with the result that a number of the Bookmarks are no longer visible (although still available by using the arrow at the right hand end of the toolbar).

Any ideas please, anyone ???.

Cheers. John.

[moved from Software by spinynorman]

Sorry Spinynorman but I thought it might be a software problem but I guess it is an Art and design problem.

Still, has anyone some suggestions since I can't see anything to change that I have not already changed to be identical to the 2008-Spring setup that has what I am aiming at ???.

Cheers. John.

Thanks coverup. I have tried ti find what you suggest, but maybe it is older age catching up with me I cannot find how.

Could you give me a more detailed howto, please, so I can try that even though I think it may not be the answer at this stage.

Cheers. John.

Thanks coverup. I have tried ti find what you suggest, but maybe it is older age catching up with me I cannot find how.

Could you give me a more detailed howto, please, so I can try that even though I think it may not be the answer at this stage.

Cheers. John.

In early Firefox 2 versions, one had to manually edit the file chrome/userChrome.css in the user's Firefox profile. I have use that modified profile for years, it works with Firefox 3 as well. These days it can be done by installing an add-on: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/6937 , but I never tried it. Would you like to try this add-on first before messing with userChrome.css?

Hi, and thanks, Coverup. I installed the plugin you suggested and it works fine but it really wasn't what I was trying to achieve.

What I am trying to do is reduce the size of the font in the Bookmarks Toolbar to the same size as I had in 2008-Spring. In there I tailored the Names and positions of the Bookmarks so that the ones I use multiple times per day are immediately visible.

The Preferences............> Content ......Fonts seems only to effect the web pages themselves. As the toolbar font size is reduced, it effectively pulls more of the bookmarks into view as can be seen in the enclosed snapshots.

So I hope someone can tell me how to change the Bookmarks Toolbar Font Size.

Cheers. John

Hi, and thanks, Coverup. I installed the plugin you suggested and it works fine but it really wasn't what I was trying to achieve.

What I am trying to do is reduce the size of the font in the Bookmarks Toolbar to the same size as I had in 2008-Spring. In there I tailored the Names and positions of the Bookmarks so that the ones I use multiple times per day are immediately visible.

The Preferences............> Content ......Fonts seems only to effect the web pages themselves. As the toolbar font size is reduced, it effectively pulls more of the bookmarks into view as can be seen in the enclosed snapshots.

So I hope someone can tell me how to change the Bookmarks Toolbar Font Size.

Cheers. John

John, are you saying you could not get the add-on to display the multiline bookmarks, or you just did not like the appearance of it?

As you can see from the screenshots, all firefox toolbars use the same font, not only the bookmarks. This is to suggest that changing the appearance of the bookmark toolbar is likely to affect other firefox toolbars and menus.

I only have experience with ealier pre-KDE 4 versions of mandriva, in which firefox relied on GTK font libraries to display toolbars. I usually install both Gnome and KDE, even though I use KDE. This way I used to be able to adjust those fonts directly from Gnome Control Center, which I could run from KDE. Alternatively, in KDE 3.x one could allow KDE to take control over the appearance of GTK applications - there was an option for that in the KDE control center. You might want to try to find a similar option in KDE4.

Hi Coverup.

Yes the thing worked AOK, and yes I didn't like the general look of it.

What you say about the font starts to make some sense. What with the increasing use of larger LCD screens, Firefox might have increased the size of the font by one size to suit.

Your Quote :-

"Alternatively, in KDE 3.x one could allow KDE to take control over the appearance of GTK applications - there was an option for that in the KDE control center. You might want to try to find a similar option in KDE4.".

I'll play around with that and let all know what I find.

Cheers. John

Edited by AussieJohn

Hi Coverup.

Your Quote :-

"Alternatively, in KDE 3.x one could allow KDE to take control over the appearance of GTK applications - there was an option for that in the KDE control center. You might want to try to find a similar option in KDE4.".

I'll play around with that and let all know what I find.

To get that option in KDE4's systemsettings you'll need to install gtk-qt-engine. I don't think it's installed by default.

Jim

In the .mozilla/firefox Folder I have found three folders.......4x2hxenp.default .......u1t2zmsi.default,,,,,,,,,and.......zbb5jlxg.default.

They each contain the same sub folders.....adblockplus, bookmarkbackups, Cache, chrome, extensions... but the third one also has.....Offlinecache.

Is it possible that Firefox is getting confused because of the three lots of firefox marked as .default ???

While I wait for some responses to this question, I will experiment by marking two of the subfolders at a time as old and see if just one in particular does the trick.

I found this oddity thanks to Coverups earlier reference to Chrome which I went looking for.

Cheers. John.

Edited by AussieJohn

I uninstalled and wiped everything Mozilla or Firefox and did a fresh install. Now only have one Firefox Folder.

Am now trying out the other suggestions regarding Chrome etc.

Cheers. John.