where to find how to install drivers?

Guest Sasha D

Guest Sasha D

I'm very new user of linux, and was suprised that mandriva 2009 did not have any visible driver handling. I have dial up internal (conexant 56 k fax) modem but i did not find any system tool to configure modem. And printer too. Help me please how to find manual to install hardware in Mandriva. I search this site but i did not find any basical explaining for beginers. Any suggestions?

All i find is to use command line but how to get command line nobody mention. Where to find manual (prefered step-by-step) for begginers? It's easy to say type... that and that... but where to type and how... Please help me, i use computers for last 10-15 years but this is very new for me, and hard to find documentation for linux that is usable. I find only probably old manuals for linux that do not have graphichs enviroment at all with many confusing command prompt commands wich are unusable on desktop because i did not find a way to reach command line... and no explanation where it is. On this site too i did not find manuals for beginers or maybe i look on wrong places?

Welcome to the MUB B)

There are GUI tools to help you configure Mandriva. I assume you are using KDE 4? I have an older KDE 3.5.9 so my menus will look different than yours, but you should have a menu item such as "Configure Your Computer" which will open the Mandriva Control Center.

Regarding the modem, we need to know if it's a 'hardware' type or a 'software' type. If it is software, getting drivers maybe difficult. IIRC the conextant driver is limited to 14K with the free driver, if you want to use 56k, you need to buy the driver.

I think most external, or serial dial up modems are hardware type. Hardware modems aren't limited in use IIRC.

As for the printer, As Daniewicz says, use the tools in "configure your computer", usually an icon in the tool bar.

The only way to make this modem work is via the Linuxant driver.

http://www.linuxant.com/company/

Just follow the instructions at their dwonload page. Your modem may, or may not be supported.

The free version of this driver is capped at 14,400 kbps, while the uncapped one costs money. If you don't like that policy, then simply get another, fully Linux compatible modem...

For faxing, the free driver is just fine- you do not need any greater speed.

Edited by scarecrow