Is it a bargain?

Mandriva-user

Hi!!

I just phoned about 10 min. ago and ask how much I will puy for installing motherboard only $ 30.00 + taxes,not including sound and network card.

The price with the sound,network and installing motherboard + cofigur. about130.00Canadian Dollar is that a bargain or not. :?

Thank you for comment.

Mandrake-user :wink:

Well, if don't know how to use a screwdriver then go for it. Otherwise my motherboard was held in place by 6 littles screws and each additionnal cards (3 pci and 1 agp) by 1 screws. So 10 screws now. Then 4 other per cdrom/dvdrom/burner/floppy/harddrive. I have 1 burner, 1 dvd, 1 floppy and 1 hard drive so 16 screws.

Grand total : 26 littles screws

so 130$/26screws = 5$/screws

Does it really worth it?

My opinion: DO IT YOURSELF!!! .. you'll learn how to use a screwdriver (if you don't know yet) and you'll have 130$ to go get drunk after.. lol. And you have REALLY good beer in BC so you are lucky! .. Get a pack of kokanee (that was my prefered one when I was in whistler)

MOttS

Sounds pretty cheap to me. I charge more than that, but then I get customers who tried to get someone like Best Buy (National Retailer) to do it for $30.00, and got sick of taking it back, and back, and back, etc.

Find out the make and model of the board and find out if it listed on the Mandrake Hardware Database. Because of the number of problems reported here with on-board sound, modems, and raid support, I would avoid those boards. If you have peripherals you need and the board is supported, then that sounds like a clearance price. I would want to know whether it is Athlon or Intel Celeron or Pentium processor maximum CPU speed and maximum memory that it will support, number and type of slots, AGP, PCI, and ISA. Do you get a manual with it? Here is the URL for the Hardware Database: http://www.linux-mandrake.com/en/hardware.php3 . If it is a significant improvement over your present setup or you want to build a second system, that is not bad for a Canadian clearance. If you have the time, looking up a review wouldn't be a bad idea. The two most credible sites for that would be http://www.anandtech.com or http://www.tomshardware.com . You would want similar information on the sound and network cards. For a total of C$130, those cards are roughly $50 each splitting the difference. Soundblaster cards are well supported in Linux in that price range. Not being into networks, I can't speak to that, so I would rely on the hardware sites for reviews, the database for compatibility, and other's experience using it.

Counterspy

I can use a screwdriver of course and no one tell me about jumpers setting ,do I have to change those jumpers?

One guy told me if I change those jumpers,I can burn the motherboard is that through?

Ok of course it came with the manual on the motherboard is 1AGP,6PCI and 1 ISA lots with amd tb 1.3, 60gb HD and 10 gb HD,dvd-rom,cd-rw,sound card,ethernet card, nvidia geforce 2 mx 400 and 250 mb scsi zipdrive and the list goes on and on. :wink:

But so do people telling me that is good to go to and is cheap for $130.00 Canadian dollars.See the computer store is good and cheap,I know it is hard to find cheap price for good service,am I right or not :?:

Give me the name & model number of the board, the processor, and the size of the power supply that you are using, and I'll tell you whether it is good or just cheap. And, I can walk you through an install if I know the brand and model number of the board. Many newer boards auto configure, so you do not have to worry about jumpers. But, if there are jumpers, I can help you with that. Just let me know.

Ixthusdan I`m talking installing Hardware ,labour they charge me $130.00 Canadian Dollars to install any Hardware.

Well I tell you that motherboard EPOXwas number one many months ago and know we can get better then that one model # EP-8KTA3pro+and there is much better out there know,I just have the CPU TB1.3ghz only few months it was very cheap to get.

I was waiting that the CPU came down with the prices,CPU retail Price for $120.00 tax incl. Canadian Dollars .That motherboard I get for $260.00 Canadian Dollars back at that time 16 to 18 months ago now mayby for not more then $100.00 Canadian Dollars.

Now do you understand all those harware to install them if is CD-RW,DVD-ROM any hardware labour to install and reconfigure the price is $130.00 incl. tax

Mandrake-user :lol: :wink: :P

I generally charge $100 for assembly and setup of a complete system. So, the price is OK to me. Epox/Athlon is a great setup, infact, my current system is very close to your equipement. This particular Epox board is jumperless, with settings for tweaking available in the bios. You could assemble this one yourself quite easily, and save some money. What kind of case/power supply do you have? You really should have a 400 watt power supply for this one, although you could get away with 350. Anything less could give you trouble in the long run.

I would seriously consider putting it togther yourself. The knowledge you will gain is worth far more than $130 to put the system together for you (unless there is a warranty). Tell is a little more about that scsi zip drive and the means of driving it. Onboard or card? Or something else. Otherwise it is a straightforward process. There is help here and scads of help at sites around the net for such a project.

Counterspy

Counterspy I can`t tell much if is a Onboard or card? ,because one person setup my zip drive and I`m 100% it is scsi because I use running under AMIGA PPC COMPUTER .

Ok,Ok now I ask you how can I find out if is Onboard or card? :?:

Ixthusdan but away I looked in my manual tell me I have on my motherboard jumpers on ,I will tell you which one it is ok.

1. jumper for CMOS

2. jumper for STR FUNCTION

3. jumper for POWER Loss Recovery

4. jumper for Keyboard Power-ON Function

5. jumper for CPU Vcore Adjustable

6. jumper for WOL I don`t know what is WOL

7. jumper for power fan

You telling me

This particular Epox board is jumperless
and that motherboard have 7 jumper do I have to switch those jumper around or just let it alone :?:

Mandrake-user :lol:

I am downloading the manuel. I'll let you know in a few minutes. OK

The CMOS is used for clearing the CMOS, if you set a bios password and forget it, or you need to clear a bios level virus.

WOL is used for "waking up" your computer when the network goes online.

Power on Keyboard enables you to "wake up" the system with a key combo on your keyboard.

The fan is a power connector for additional cooling.

Power loss recovery enables an auto power on after an abrupt power failure

Now the vcore voltage can be used to tweak your processor, but it is not necessary for function.

None of these features are required for your build, and starting with the defaults is fine. So, no, you do not need to mess with any of these, unless any of these descriptions fit your situation.

By the way, your board has ide & RAID, no scsi. So, if you tell me the exact brand and model of your zip, I will tell you how to install it.

Ixthusdan your saying the CMOS is used for clearing the CMOS, if you set a bios password and forget it, or you need to clear a bios level virus.

WOL is used for "waking up" your computer when the network goes online.

Power on Keyboard enables you to "wake up" the system with a key combo on your keyboard.

The fan is a power connector for additional cooling.

Power loss recovery enables an auto power on after an abrupt power failure

Now the vcore voltage can be used to tweak your processor, but it is not necessary for function.

None of these features are required for your build, and starting with the defaults is fine. So, no, you do not need to mess with any of these, unless any of these descriptions fit your situation.

By the way, your board has ide & RAID, no scsi. So, if you tell me the exact brand and model of your zip, I will tell you how to install it.

Ok. after you tell me I will save the file on my floppy disk in case I can`t get zip up and runing,so in future I can look up in my floppy disk.

My Iomega 250 mb zip disk is a scsi.

But one more thing:

1.Of course every one know that ide is.

2. does Raid to the same as the ide or what is raid,I know I should look up in my manual.

I get Pioneer dvd 106 I thing is 106s OEM so no cable what ever and no software.

My dvd has/got slot right and I told them nice about there should be with cable ,they told me no.

I talk,talk untill they give 40 pin cable, for free.

Mandrake-user :wink:

You will need to purchase a scsi card in order to use your zip. The zip is a scsi-II. Mandrake is good at setting up scsi, so there should be no problem, once you have the additional card.

RAID is a hard drive array that can give you a faster system, better error recovery from storage, and longer lasting hardware. It is also more expensive to run correctly (you need additional hard drives) and it can give you a headache setting up.

I usually only setup RAID on servers, rather than desktop machines.

Ixthusdan your saying:

You will need to purchase a scsi card in order to use your zip. The zip is a scsi-II. Mandrake is good at setting up scsi, so there should be no problem, once you have the additional card.

But that you know zip drive is runing on mandrake 8.1

no problem at all before I couldn`t save file but now I`m an expert on that.

Ixthusdan your saying:

RAID is a hard drive array that can give you a faster system, better error recovery from storage, and longer lasting hardware. It is also more expensive to run correctly (you need additional hard drives) and it can give you a headache setting up.

I usually only setup RAID on servers, rather than desktop machines.

A friend told me to get that kind of motherboard so he know about it,that is a plus for me.

You saying (you need additional hard drives) what do you try to tell me,I got 60gb few months ago is that good for my motherboard to run under raid.

My HD is Maxtor 60GB 7200rbm ATA 133 you think is it good for RAID:?: .

Mandrake-user

:wink: