lost connection to LPT #1 and printer [solved]

Fred01

Since upgrading to 2009.1 seems to have lost connection to LPT #1 and attached printer.

Using the new printer tool under 2009.1, ie. System-config-printer / see url http://wiki.mandriva.com/en/System-config-printer

I'm also unable to 'find' my printer attached to the pc's local parallel port = LPT#1

In fact the System-config-printer tool not even displayed the LPT #1 as a choice , hence the tool when selecting to add a new printer

does not come back with the choices as shown on the for mentioned link - the LPT #1 is not included as a choice.

Seems as if after upgrading to 2009.1, connection to the LPT#1 is gone // same issue on another pc.

The System-config-printer tool comes nicely back with a printer attached to an url port, when the printer is turned on and doesn't

show this vary same printer when turned of before requesting the config tool to add a new printer.

So it really looks as if the pc's have lost connection to the parallel port (LPT port) and thus no local printers attached to that port

are being found as result.

Any suggestions on how to check if the system (still) knows/has connection to the parallel port (LPT port)

and / or how to (re)set this up (again) ??

Thanks in advance,

Fred

Thanks -- correct / wasn't sure were the issue would belong to.

BTW - as additional information;

it concerns here a Mandriva supported printer (Canon-BJC-210) -- hooked up to the parallel port.

You can try adding your user to the lp group - there probably is a gui way to do this, but I'm not sure what it is, but you can do it from a command line like this:

su (enter root password when prompted)
gpasswd -a user group

replace user with your username and group with the groupname in this case lp, so my example for user ian, would be:

gpasswd -a ian lp

and see if you can communicate with the printer. Also, you can try setting it up with cups by opening a web browser, and then typing:

http://localhost:631

if you connect and can login and add a printer, you're good to go. If not, maybe cups is missing.

I've found a fix in bug report #50139 - comment #4
cd /usr/lib/cups/backend
chmod 700 parallel

You could try that, and please add your info to that report. Let us know if it works for you.

Thanks Greg,

I've used the solution suggested and with success.

cd /usr/lib/cups/backend

chmod 700 parallel

Checking on the remote pc starting the System-config-printer tool, learned

that the LPT #1 port was back as a choice.

Running the same solution on the pc where the printer was hooked up, even gave

a more remarkable outcome -- not the LPT #1 was chown in he list of device choices, but the actual printer showed up as a valid choice.

After accepting that settings, all worked well // test page printed ok,

and also other print job , also from the remote pc are picked up successfully

again.