Digikam doesn't work any more [solved]

neddie

I couldn't get any joy from the 2009.0 version of digikam, every album showed as empty and I couldn't see any of my photos! Arg! It listed the folders but doesn't show any of the images.

So I assumed this was a KDE 4 thing, and looked for a KDE3 version, couldn't find one, so (eventually) managed to install the 2008.1 version of digikam manually. And this worked fine last week (with a proper 2008.1 system). But now even with digikam 0.9.3, all my photos are missing! Obviously this makes it completely unusable!

If I start it from the console, I get messages like these (one per jpg):

digikam:																																 
kio (Slave): createSlave 'digikamthumbnail' for digikamthumbnail:/home/neddie/photos/blahblahblah.jpg		 
digikam: ERROR: : couldn't create slave : Unable to create io-slave:																	 
klauncher said: Unknown protocol 'digikamthumbnail'.

I assume this is a simple problem with a simple fix, and something to do with the proper directories for KDE 3 stuff?

Has anyone got digikam working on KDE 3?

Edited by neddie

The joy of mixing two versions of KDE!

When you installed digikam from the 2009.0 repos, you installed a KDE4 app, which installed about 30 depends for KDE4 including the libs that digicam depends on. Then you installed digikam from the 2008.1 repos, which installed almost everything to the wrong location for your KDE3 2009.0 system. In 2008.1 the KDE3 directories where in

/usr/lib/kde3

but in 2009.0 the KDE3 directories are in

/opt/kde3/lib/kde3

and if you check your services $PATH with

kde-config --path services

you will find that services are in

/opt/kde3/share/services

The 2008.1 rpm you installed placed them in

/usr/share/services

If you would or have uninstalled all of the KDE4 stuff that was installed as depends for the KDE4 digikam rpm you installed, then installed the digikam depends from the 2008.1 repos. You may be able to symlink all of this to work for you. However there are so many digikam depends, I would not give this very good odds.

For the record, I use gtkam because of this mess.

Woo! :woot: Thanks, Greg2!

The number of beers I owe you is getting larger and larger!

:thumbs: Digikam is working again, after symlinking as you suggested. I understand what you explained about the changes in paths, but I still don't quite get why the 2009.0 digikam didn't work, with exactly the same symptoms. Or maybe that was an entirely different problem.

I'm reluctant to use gtkam because I've invested a fair bit of time tagging the photos in the digkam database and I love the ability to find photos by tags. So I don't want to start again with another app.

Anyway, count this one as SOLVED! And next time I install I'll make sure to keep it a purely KDE 4 system ;)