Firefox looks awful under KDE3 [solved]

neddie

2009 Spring again, using KDE3, and Firefox looks awful - really clunky toolbars and buttons. Under gnome it looks fiine. Is there a way I can configure the gtk stuff under KDE3?

Previously I used gtk-qt-engine but that doesn't seem to work any more...

Edited by neddie

Create a new account and see what is the difference?

bash-3.2$ rpm -qa | grep firefox

firefox-3.0.10-0.1mdv2009.1

firefox-pl-3.0.10-0.1mdv2009.1

2009 Spring again, using KDE3, and Firefox looks awful - really clunky toolbars and buttons. Under gnome it looks fiine. Is there a way I can configure the gtk stuff under KDE3?

Previously I used gtk-qt-engine but that doesn't seem to work any more...

It must be something specific to your setup as Firefox looks just fine on my 2009.1/KDE3.5 install.

As lexicon said, try it with a brand new user to see whether it's related to some user setting.

Edited by tux99

Well, I tried it with a new user and got a whole load of other problems (video-related, flashing screen, various strangeness) but indeed you're both right, Firefox looks fine.

So I tried "find .kde -name "*gtk*"" from my user and deleted those three files, now it looks fine again! Thanks both! :thumbs:

Update: seems to be some kind of system notification, as it makes these noises when I upload files too. And if I listen carefully, Firefox also makes a very quiet noise on minimize, and so do Thunderbird and Gimp.

KDE system notifications are disabled, and KDE apps like Kate, Konqueror, digikam etc all respect that and don't make noises.

Is this some kind of gnome or gtk configuration that I need to edit to switch these notifications off?

I had to disable pulseaudio in a (failed) attempt to get sound in Skype working, so that's not it.

But the annoying sounds are in Gimp too, which means I have to mute the whole system in order not to go crazy!