Can't select smoothslidesaver as screensaver

neddie

I reinstalled the smoothslidesaver rpm with 2009 Spring, but when I try to choose my screensaver it doesn't appear in the list. I'm sure it all worked brainlessly last time I installed it! And according to the package name it's exactly the same rpm too.

How can I get it back? Could this be a KDE3 problem?

Edited by neddie

That's a 2007.1 rpm that depends on a xxxx-kde-config-2009.0 rpm. That combo places the file in

‎/usr/share/applnk/System/ScreenSavers/smoothslidesaver.desktop

and if you're using KDE 3 the files should be in

‎/opt/kde3/share/applnk/System/ScreenSavers/, so you could try a symlink to

/opt/kde3/share/applnk/System/ScreenSavers/smoothslidesaver.desktop

However, I'm guessing that you're not concerned about this anymore because you're probably installing 2009.0 to get rid of the new xorg-server problems.

Not worthy! :headbang: Thanks, Greg!

You're 100% correct on both counts, yes I'm just tweaking my 2009.0 right now, going rather nicely, but the same trick is necessary to get it to work on 2009.0 too! Nice job, packagers!

After setting up the symlink I can now choose it from the list! Perfect! :thumbs:

(How on Earth do you know this stuff???)

You're welcome and thank you, neddie!

I have been using KDE 3.5.10 with 2009.0 since it was released on at least one system. I repackaged several rpms so I would not have to make symlinks to get them to work properly. That's how I know where the files 'should be'. :)

Here's a screenshot of my lappy's KDE 3.5.10 desktop: Show off your desktop - April 2009 – me

:D

You're welcome and thank you, neddie!

I have been using KDE 3.5.10 with 2009.0 since it was released on at least one system. I repackaged several rpms so I would not have to make symlinks to get them to work properly. That's how I know where the files 'should be'. :)

Here's a screenshot of my lappy's KDE 3.5.10 desktop: Show off your desktop - April 2009 – me

:D

Greg you always have surprises like that...good job...I thought I will never make it work too...now I just need to fix my upgrade :wall: and then try your solution

you should write a solver hehe :thumbs: