X dies when playing video

neddie

Since I installed 2009.1, I can't seem to play any videos which previously played fine. Whether I play with mplayer or by double-clicking to launch "Movie player", either the application dies, or more likely X dies and brings me back to the login. This happens even for a simple avi from my camera.

I'm running KDE3 without 3d compiz effects. Any clues?

Edited by neddie

Since I installed 2009.1, I can't seem to play any videos which previously played fine. Whether I play with mplayer or by double-clicking to launch "Movie player", either the application dies, or more likely X dies and brings me back to the login. This happens even for a simple avi from my camera.

I'm running KDE3 without 3d compiz effects. Any clues?

That used to happen to me when I was using 2008.0,2008.1, 2009.0....the way I solved was using VLC and installing the codecs, try also reconfiguring your video card drivers (I used to change some options on MCC)

Maybe you have tried that right? :unsure:

I've tried installing VLC, that also behaves the same way - so I don't think it's an application error or a codecs problem, but rather a display driver. It also does the same under gnome so it's probably not a KDE thing either.

I've tried changing the settings in XFdrake, but I'm using the bundled intel drivers as I was before. Maybe the package has got an unwanted regression?

I'm considering reinstalling 2008.1 at this rate... :unsure:

I don't know if this will help but I've noticed on my PC in 2009.1, that the sound driver is causing issues with all video playback. Although my soundcard is driven by the alsa driver, neither alsa nor pulse are suitable for a good playback : I have to use the oss driver!

Yves.

I've tried installing VLC, that also behaves the same way - so I don't think it's an application error or a codecs problem, but rather a display driver. It also does the same under gnome so it's probably not a KDE thing either.

I've tried changing the settings in XFdrake, but I'm using the bundled intel drivers as I was before. Maybe the package has got an unwanted regression?

I'm considering reinstalling 2008.1 at this rate... :unsure:

I don't know if it's really a sign of that but the intel drivers currently suck. On all distros not just Mandriva.

And if the sound is otherwise working then it's most likely the Intel driver.

And I bought my Intel-based chipset with on-board G950 because I was told that Intel was great on Linux, with strong involvement from Intel for their Linux drivers… I'm very disappointed, and thinking about buying an NVidia card…

Yves.

I don't know if it's really a sign of that but the intel drivers currently suck. On all distros not just Mandriva.

And if the sound is otherwise working then it's most likely the Intel driver.

I could understand some new intel drivers sucking, until they're fixed, but why should the old ones, which worked fine, suddenly start sucking? Seems odd, unless they've changed them to accommodate the new ones as well as the old ones, and the changes affect the old ones? Now I'm just wildly guessing :)

And yes, the sound seems to work fine otherwise, even from mplayer if I use it to play an ogg file for example. I've already disabled pulseaudio.

Intel drivers have been bad even before the current problems, I'm currently temporarily using a Intel 945GC based mobo (with integrated Intel graphics) with a 3GHz Core2Duo and Mandriva 2008.1 with the standard included intel xorg drivers and when I play back a DVD in xine or mplayer I get very visible tearing during fast action scenes.

The intel driver seems to be incabaple of displaying a 50Hz PAL DVD smoothly on the attached LCD screen running at 60Hz.

This is an obvious driver issue as on a much older P4 2.5GHz (mobo died a few days ago) with an ancient Nvidia FX5200 attached to the same screen at the same frequency I never had such problems.

I could understand some new intel drivers sucking, until they're fixed, but why should the old ones, which worked fine, suddenly start sucking?

The intel driver is currently in poor shape and doesn't play very well (if at all) with the new xorg-server.

Here's some more info on this in one of my post. Please read the rest of that thread and follow the links I gave yossarian.

I can also confirm that the new xorg-server 1.6.1 doesn't work properly with older* ati and nvidia cards... with the current drivers offered.

*older can be ati video chipsets installed in laptops as recently as three years ago. :sad:

Thanks, Greg.

Good to know I'm not alone :) But fiddling with XFdrake doesn't help me, unfortunately. Looks like my problems are much more minor than some others', but still, I'm downloading 2009.0 as we speak...

Likewise - it's installed now and running nicely, playing movies and haven't seen any funny video crashes (yet)...

:thumbs:

I made my video works but the only problem is that I can't have smooth full screen maybe setting problems...but windowed works fine B)

good job Greg nice tip

welll I think this is solved right? :D