OOo 1.1 and KDE menu setup?

kmack

Running Mdk 9.1 and texstar kde 3.1.3 here.

I uninstalled the old mdk rpm OOo and deleted the old OOo directories in my /home/kelly/OOo directory. Then I used the OOo installer to install 1.1. The install is fine but I didn't get any KDE integration at all. So it is "menuless" on the gui program menus. (but starts and runs fine from cli)

I have seen several references on this board about KDE integration and menus working fine so it seems some of you know the secret of making it work. :)

After way too much time trying to figure this out, I thought I'd ask for a pointer from someone who knows how to do it. I need to get back to work on other things.

I realize I can make a quick link on the desktop, and can use menudrake, but several indicate it should integrate directly into KDE. I suspect since I installed in /opt/OOo that mdk cannot find the icons (they are in /opt/OpenOffice.org1.1.0/share/icons but are not visible in menudrake) or the program. Is that right?

Any points in the right direction for a solution are greatly appreciated.

kmack........

i had the same thing happen with OOo1.1 final. i heard (& read) that it's supposed to integrate with KDE, but it was a no go for me, too. i also installed to /opt where my old version was in /usr/lib, so i don't know if that made a difference. unless somebody has a different solution, you just need to use menudrake to change the run commands. note, that with this version of OOo the command syntax has changed. in older versions of OOo, to run "writer" (for instance) the command was "oowriter" it is now "swriter". (without "quotes") that goes for all the OOo programs now. so, they would be like this....

swriter

soffice

simpress

smath

scalc

etc.........

hope that helps a bit.........

Chris

Thanks for input Chris! Well, at least it is not just me that is facing the problem. Lots of chatter on several sites, but I haven't seen an easy fix.

I suspect part of the problem is with mdkkdm which is not really KDE per se so the integration isn't perfect.

kmack........

i had the same thing happen with OOo1.1 final. i heard (& read) that it's supposed to integrate with KDE, but it was a no go for me, too. i also installed to /opt where my old version was in /usr/lib, so i don't know if that made a difference. unless somebody has a different solution, you just need to use menudrake to change the run commands. note, that with this version of OOo the command syntax has changed. in older versions of OOo, to run "writer" (for instance) the command was "oowriter" it is now "swriter". (without "quotes") that goes for all the OOo programs now. so, they would be like this....

swriter

soffice

simpress

smath

scalc

etc.........

hope that helps a bit.........

Chris

S'funny, I'm currently using OO1.0.3 and I've always had to use swriter etc to load the programs, and this has been the case for every previous version I have installed and used.

Found some good info on OOo genl mailing list... Am digesting it a bit and think I have an answer. I already learned a ton about how the menu items and icons work in kde. Good stuff...

I'll dink around a bit and when I perfect a method, maybe I'll do a Tip or FAQ for it as it is quite poorly documented and there are a zillion ways to do it. Gotta love it, eh? :)

Anon,

Yes, I wondered about the restart of X since OOo instructions specify installing with X running. So I uninstalled and reinstalled with a restart, but still no menu items.

How can you use urpmi to install from the installer? I thought it would only work with rpm's? Back to man:urpmi for me I guess. :wink:

EDIT: so I tried something...

[root@localhost OOo_1.1.0_LinuxIntel_install]# urpmi --test setup

Installation is possible

[root@localhost OOo_1.1.0_LinuxIntel_install]# urpmi --test install

Installation is possible

[root@localhost OOo_1.1.0_LinuxIntel_install]# urpmi --test install --prefix=/opt

urpmi: unknown option "--prefix=/opt", check usage with --help

VERY INTERESTING... gotta learn more about this urpmi tool. Looks like more than meets the eye! Haven't figured out how to do it with the options, but maybe they are not needed? Hmmmmm! Very interesting!

Tnx anon!

You've got me on the trail of something. :idea: Wonder why urpmi can work a regular executable like the 'setup' or 'install' of the OOo installer? What would happen if I really ran it? :roll: Would it hose things or install them in normal mdk fashion? I'd like to figure that out and also how to use the proper options on the executables too... probably WAY beyond my present level of understanding, but peaks my interest.

I may settle for the RC4 version, but I have figured out at least 3 ways to manually link the files to the menu system and you got me all sweaty over another possible way to use urpmi! Guess I am just a tweak geek at heart! and that's why I am loving gnu/linux! 8)

EDIT: See http://www.mandrakeusers.org/viewtopic.php...p?p=69200#69200 for the ongoing saga of how to get your menu items back!

The problem with Mandrake is that it takes control of the menuing system from KDE (and other frontends). So any programs you install from a tar.gz have to be added manually. What you read here represents a general technique for a number of programs.

You need to copy the OOo icons into the directory

/usr/share/icons

You will need to be root to do it.

Then you need to use menudrake. To do this, run Mandrake Control Centre > System > Menudrake > System Menu Configure

All the programs you need are in the directory

/opt/OpenOffice.org1.1.0/program (check - yours could be different)

and are scripts starting with 's'

They are: sagenda, scalc, sdraw, sfax, simpress, slabel, sletter, smath, smemo, svcard, sweb, swriter

So to create a shortcut for OOo Writer, you would use the following entries in the add program dialogue box:

Title: OpenOffice.org Writer (or whatever)

Command: /opt/OpenOffice.org1.1.0/program/swriter

Once you press OK you can add a Long Title and select an Icon.

When finished, save. You may need to repeat all this for your personal menu if different. Click on "K">Configuration>Other>MenuDrake to amend your personal menu.

There is another, simpler way of going about it, with Mandrake 9.1 Download edition you will need Disc 3.

Just use Software Install to install "oooqs". This puts an icon in your system tray. You can right-click on it and select "Configure etc" and in the General tab, set the path to OpenOffice.org as

/opt/OpenOffice.org1.1.0/

You can use other Configuration options to select which OOo element runs when you double-left-click on the icon, and if you right click you can select from the menu.

Me? I did both.

My other gripe with OOo is that it does not correctly uninstall older versions when you upgrade. Once installed, though, it was worth the hassle. Such a great program!