gedit launched instead of nautilus

yossarian

I don't have Gnome on a system at this time, but it sounds like gconfd is causing the settings to return. So I would suggest doing

mv ~/.gconf ~/.gconf-old
killall gconfd
rm ~/.gconfd/saved_state
gnome-panel &

Then log out and login, then reconfigure your desktop.

Disclaimer: I've never tried this, but you will have all of your settings in the gconf-old directory if it doesn't work. So you shouldn't have any problems... that you can't fix? :)

If you deleted the nautilus settings, of course the computer, home etc icons would re-appear. What you then do is go back into gconf-editor and disable the option that allows nautilus to draw the desktop. You can't delete them otherwise.

This is found under:

apps --> nautilus --> preferences --> show_desktop

just disable it. Alternatively, don't disable this and go to

apps --> nautilus --> desktop

and then enable/disable the icons you don't want. The first option will make Gnome a bit faster though.

Disclaimer: I've never tried this, but you will have all of your settings in the gconf-old directory if it doesn't work. So you shouldn't have any problems... that you can't fix? :)

Hey, was this joke on me or about me? :)

I'm flattered by the fact that you start getting inspiration from my messages. :P

Alternatively, don't disable this and go to

apps --> nautilus --> desktop

and then enable/disable the icons you don't want.

It worked! Thanks a lot. I could swear that last time I just deleted these icons.

It wasn't a joke on you or about you. It was something 'that I would try' to fix a system that was opening gedit instead of nautilus when clicking places > directory... if I was using Gnome and had that problem. However, since I'm not using Gnome I can't test it for you. :)

It wasn't a joke on you or about you. It was something 'that I would try' to fix a system that was opening gedit instead of nautilus when clicking places > directory... if I was using Gnome and had that problem. However, since I'm not using Gnome I can't test it for you. :)

The style was too similar to mine, so I thought you were tying to mock me. It's ok, I'm used to it.

;)

• 2 weeks later...
Guest goldie

My gnome was doing this for me as well, it finally annoyed me enough to track down how to fix it.

I did as greg2 suggested renamed my .gconf2 directory and fired up gnome again to get a pristine .gconf directory rebuilt. While running gnome with this copy indeed my "Places -> Home" and "Places -> Desktop" items worked as expected.

I did a diff -r comparision between my old and new .gconf directories after opening gedit once. I found the following:

apps/gedit-2/plugins/filebrowser/on_load/%gconf.xml:

<?xml version="1.0"?>
<gconf>
<entry name="virtual_root" mtime="1243499102" type="string">
	<stringvalue>file:///home</stringvalue>
</entry>
<entry name="root" mtime="1243499102" type="string">
	<stringvalue>file:///</stringvalue>
</entry>
<entry name="tree_view" mtime="1243499102" type="bool" value="true"/>
</gconf>

I moved the entire apps/gedit-2/plugins/filebrowser directory out of the way, restored my original .gconf directory and my Places menu items are working again now. Yay!

Very odd though, how/why does nautilus and gedit interact via the presence of these gconf entries?

Cheers,

Mark.

how/why does nautilus and gedit interact via the presence of these gconf entries?

Here's a few things to help you understand this:

GConf is a system for storing application preferences. It is intended for user preferences
GConf looks for each value in a series of storage locations called configuration sources. These are specified in a file called /etc/gconf/<version>/path. Each configuration source has a backend that knows how to read it - for now, this is always the "xml" backend, which stores data in XML files.

By default, GConf comes configured as follows:

xml:readonly:/etc/gconf/gconf.xml.mandatory

include "$(HOME)/.gconf.path"

xml:readwrite:$(HOME)/.gconf

xml:readonly:/etc/gconf/gconf.xml.defaults

The readwrite source ~/.gconf is where user settings are normally written.
GConf per-user daemon (gconfd)

The current GConf implementation involves a per-user daemon. This daemon's primary purpose is to notify applications when a configuration value has changed. As a secondary task, it caches values, so each application doesn't have to parse XML files.

All of this info and more from here:

http://projects.gnome.org/gconf/

Welcome aboard! :)

My gnome was doing this for me as well, it finally annoyed me enough to track down how to fix it.

I did as greg2 suggested renamed my .gconf2 directory and fired up gnome again to get a pristine .gconf directory rebuilt. While running gnome with this copy indeed my "Places -> Home" and "Places -> Desktop" items worked as expected.

I did a diff -r comparision between my old and new .gconf directories after opening gedit once. I found the following:

apps/gedit-2/plugins/filebrowser/on_load/%gconf.xml:

<?xml version="1.0"?>
<gconf>
<entry name="virtual_root" mtime="1243499102" type="string">
	<stringvalue>file:///home</stringvalue>
</entry>
<entry name="root" mtime="1243499102" type="string">
	<stringvalue>file:///</stringvalue>
</entry>
<entry name="tree_view" mtime="1243499102" type="bool" value="true"/>
</gconf>

I moved the entire apps/gedit-2/plugins/filebrowser directory out of the way, restored my original .gconf directory and my Places menu items are working again now. Yay!

Very odd though, how/why does nautilus and gedit interact via the presence of these gconf entries?

Cheers,

Mark.

First, welcome aboard. :)

I tried both: I copied into my xml file the code you presented and rebooted, but it didn't help. I then renamed .gconf directory. After reboot I got a new desktopm, but the problem was not solved.

As I mentioned, I do have another user where the problem does not appear, so I guess the source to the problem simply isn't in .gconf.

Thanks anyway!