gedit launched instead of nautilus

yossarian

Hi all,

I encounter a minor but annoying problem: I'm running Mandriva 2009.1 with Gnome. When clicking Places -> Bookmarks -> Documents (or any other library), instead of launching Nautilus, Gedit is launched and I get the following error message:

/home/guest/Documents is a directory.
Please check that you typed the location correctly and try again.

I don't think there is a problem with nautilus itself, because I can launch it successfully (from the terminal, for example) and it functions well.

If I drag the library's icon to the desktop and open the icon's properties, I see that in the location field it's written: "file:///home/guest/Documents" (which looks fine to me, but what do I know).

Any idea?

EDIT:

Sorry, I missed something important. When I launch nautilus from the terminal I get the following warning messages:

[username@localhost ~]$ nautilus

(nautilus:5586): atk-bridge-WARNING **: AT_SPI_REGISTRY was not started at session startup.

(nautilus:5586): atk-bridge-WARNING **: IOR not set.

(nautilus:5586): atk-bridge-WARNING **: Could not locate registry

Still, as I mentoned, nautiles opens and functions normally.

Edited by yossarian

When you ran nautilus manually, check this out. RIght-click the directory/folder, and then click properties. Go to the Open With tab, and see what you got listed there. If you see gedit remove it and just leave the option called "Open Folder" and make sure it's the default.

When you ran nautilus manually, check this out. RIght-click the directory/folder, and then click properties. Go to the Open With tab, and see what you got listed there. If you see gedit remove it and just leave the option called "Open Folder" and make sure it's the default.

The only tabs I have in properties are: Basic, Emblems, Permissions, Notes and Share. In none of them I can't select the program to run it with. The properties window is different for directory and files (in files I do have this tab).

I did some more searching for you, try editing your /home/username/.local/share/applications/defaults.list. If you see anything in here relating to nautilus stuff being opened with gedit, delete the entry and then restart gnome by logging out and back in again to see if it helps. I dunno if you need to restart gnome, but worth a try if it doesn't work the first time.

If still doesn't work, post back and we try something else.

Thanks. Here is the contents of the file:

[Default Applications]
application/x-flash-video=totem.desktop
application/pdf=/opt/Adobe/Reader8/Resource/Support/AdobeReader.desktop
application/vnd.adobe.xfdf=/opt/Adobe/Reader8/Resource/Support/AdobeReader.desktop
application/vnd.fdf=/opt/Adobe/Reader8/Resource/Support/AdobeReader.desktop
application/vnd.adobe.xdp+xml=/opt/Adobe/Reader8/Resource/Support/AdobeReader.desktop
application/vnd.adobe.pdx=/opt/Adobe/Reader8/Resource/Support/AdobeReader.desktop
application/fdf=/opt/Adobe/Reader8/Resource/Support/AdobeReader.desktop
application/xdp=/opt/Adobe/Reader8/Resource/Support/AdobeReader.desktop
application/xfdf=/opt/Adobe/Reader8/Resource/Support/AdobeReader.desktop
application/pdx=/opt/Adobe/Reader8/Resource/Support/AdobeReader.desktop

As you see, nothing regarding nautilus nor gedit.

Maybe try reinstalling shared-mime-info package - I found this on Ubuntu where someone was having problems with stuff - maybe it could be related. Then, if there are any rpmnew files from reinstalling it, put them as the new config file and see if it's any better after restarting Gnome for the changes to take effect.

Under Debian, what I have, I have the Open With tab even for directories, so I could re-associate this way - however, it is probably some other config file.

Otherwise, create a new user, and see if this also has the same problem - then you can see if the problem is system-wide or just for your particular user that is affected.

Uninstalling the shared-mime-info package will remove with it dozens of packages due to dependencies summing almost 700 MB, including task-gnome and task-gnome-minimal. I think breaking my system is too high a price just to be able to open some directories from the Places menu. :)

Your second advice was helpful - on other users the problem does not exist and nautilus is launched successfully. BTW, when I launch nautilus from the terminal on the other user, the warning I saw in the first user (which are speciied in my first message) do not appear. So maybe it is something to do with that.

OK, let's try gconf-editor. Run this. Then check:

desktop --> gnome --> applications --> component_viewer

now, what's the association? In mine, I've got:

exec --> nautilus %s

Also, check:

desktop --> gnome --> volume_manager

and under here check the filemanager option. Mine has:

nautilus -n --no-desktop %m

if I think of anything else, I'll post back. However, we could just remove the .gnome*, .local and .nautilus folders for a quick fix, but I'd rather we found the underlying problem to save reconfiguring Gnome again :)

Uninstalling the shared-mime-info package will remove with it dozens of packages due to dependencies summing almost 700 MB, including task-gnome and task-gnome-minimal.

That's why the --nodeps rpm switch was invented!

# rpm -e --nodeps shared-mime-info*

and then, simply try reinstalling it.

AFAIK you cannot do the same using urpmi (most probably on purpose), there no switch equivalent to "nodeps" exists.

Edited by scarecrow

There's definitely something here in the config, just I don't know where. Either it's nautilus settings screwed up, or Gnome is set to use gedit for managing files/folders. Of course, gconf-editor seems to show this isn't the case.

Some config directories:

ian@esprit:~$ find ./ -name *naut* | grep -iv icons
./.nautilus
./.nautilus/metafiles/x-nautilus-desktop:%2F%2F%2F.xml
./.gconf/apps/nautilus-cd-burner
./.gconf/apps/nautilus
./.gnome2/nautilus-scripts

I'd start with removing the .nautilus config directory since it'll only affect nautilus, and then you'll get clean config files created. After that, I'd go with removing the nautilus directory under .gconf/apps if the former didn't solve it.

If after that it doesn't work, then it's a gnome config setting, and so then that'll be quite hard to find as I've not managed to locate it yet.

One more, what's inside this file?

cat /usr/share/applications/nautilus-folder-handler.desktop

specifically the exec line, here's mine:

Exec=nautilus --no-desktop %U

also, check these:

/usr/share/applications/nautilus-computer.desktop
/usr/share/applications/nautilus-home.desktop

I'd start with removing the .nautilus config directory since it'll only affect nautilus, and then you'll get clean config files created. After that, I'd go with removing the nautilus directory under .gconf/apps if the former didn't solve it.

Removed both .nautilus and .gconf/apps/nautilus from my home directory and restarted the computer. Didn't help.

One more, what's inside this file?

cat /usr/share/applications/nautilus-folder-handler.desktop

specifically the exec line, here's mine:

Exec=nautilus --no-desktop %U

also, check these:

/usr/share/applications/nautilus-computer.desktop
/usr/share/applications/nautilus-home.desktop

In all three files, the Exec line is identical to the one you wrote.

I really appreciate you efforts, but I can handle it this way and I wouldn't want to waste any more of your time. From time to time I'll try to solve it again (maybe a fresh view is required), and if I find anything I will post it here. Thanks! :)

Just as I thought to put it behind me, Murphy called.

After deleting .gconf/apps/nautilus and rebooting, the home, computer and trash shortcuts reappeared on my desktop. When I try to delete them I get the following error message:

Error while deleting.
There was an error getting information about "computer".
details:
The specified location is not supported

In terminal I can't see these shortcuts.

I can't say it's a catastrophe if I leave those shortcuts on the desktop, but losing control makes me insane. :jester:

EDIT:

I'm aware to the fact it's becoming off-topic. If mods prefer I can open a new thread.

Edited by yossarian