Gentoo Schmentoo

Mandrake makes Gentoo look like a childs-plaything (lets see what this one manages to provoke  :wink:)
wait...let me get this right...the distro which is EASIER to use makes the distro which is HARDER to use look like a childs play-thing? :roll:

man, kids toys must have changed drastically since i was young... :huh:

Yeh, you have to pres start to turn em off

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

HJ: Cool down, you don't know me. I take the piss all the time. You will notice that the users on this board who do know me (mods included) are not taking me seriously... :P <- that means 'tounge out' - and mine is now in my cheek.

I get asked to recommend distros to n00bs all the time. IN MY OPINION Gentoo is not a good choice for them.

If it works for you, great. I actually payed for this distro... does that mean nothing to you? I am going to carry on playing with it, but I will keep Mandy as my primary distro... because it works for me.

If you took offence to my posts then I am sorry. I'll look out for you on the Gentoo boards so you can help me with my issues... and maybe even prove me wrong.

I spent four days wih Gentoo, and these have been my experiences. it's as simple as that, the rest is me taking the piss (as usual).

emerge --unmerge SoulSe && emerge -Up --deep paul

:cheeky:

:mystismiles:

Please all go and read my post on the Gentoo forum. Yes, I did edit it - because I realised that I did not give enough info, thanks to HJ for pointing that out.

Well, I like Gentoo - it gives me a nice clean working system.

I'd have to say, though, that if you are looking for a new distro and don't like gentoo - give arch a try, I quite liked it.

One piece of advice though - when you try a new distro, stick at it for at least a week - if not two regardless of how frustrating it is. This is the best way to really learn something and to find out if your problems are just teething problems or real issues with the distro

One piece of advice though - when you try a new distro, stick at it for at least a week - if not two regardless of how frustrating it is.  This is the best way to really learn something and to find out if your problems are just teething problems or real issues with the distro

Couldn't have said it better myself. :-)

Sorry I fliped out on you, I just get very agrivated with people that shutdown and diss other distoros, especially when they don't seem to be giving it much effort.

Well now, I wasn't dissing it for everyone, mostly for n00bs and for myself. I also get tense when people rip off Mandrake. So what? Nobody forces you to use a distro, I would have appreciated someone posting a warning for n00bs, like I did, before I tried it.

Well, I like Gentoo - it gives me a nice clean working system.

I'd have to say, though, that if you are looking for a new distro and don't like gentoo - give arch a try, I quite liked it.

One piece of advice though - when you try a new distro, stick at it for at least a week - if not two regardless of how frustrating it is. This is the best way to really learn something and to find out if your problems are just teething problems or real issues with the distro

Strange... it's been exactly a week :wink: I got my CDs last Monday (check my other post). Anyway, after spending so much time to get it installed, I'll carry on with it for a little while longer. But if I can't even get my zip drive working, it's gonna take a pleasant flight out of my bedroom widnow.

Bear in mind that if it works in Mandrake it should, in theory, be able to work in gentoo - it'll just take more work.

It has to be said that I've read of a couple of other people finding things work much more easily with the vanilla sources. I've just finished compiling it myself as a matter of fact (with only the pre-empt patch) to see if it gives me any advantage on my system

I could care less what all you people have to say, I just like Linux!

Seriouly, SoulSe you knew going into it from previous converstaions that Gentoo wasn't going to be extremely easy to install and use right off the bat, I gave you plenty of fare warnings, I think? But that is why YOU said you wanted to use it to learn more and not rely on all the MDK gui tools. Well, I think your starting to learn more about Linux now. Your zip drive will work if it is in what ever kernel you are using, just like any other hardware, it WILL work, you just have to figure out how to get it working. That's why you wanted to use Gentoo wasn't it, to learn more about how it all works? If you get your zip drive working, you will have learned something, NO?

I think you just ran into the Gentoo noob's inital :banghead: , your just frusterated becuase it didn't do everything mdk did for you and now you need to take a couple of deep breaths, sit back read some forum searches and clear you mind and think what isn't working? How can I make it work? You need to think out side the Mandrake box and figure out what you can do to make it work. It's NO different than using Debian, Slackware, Arch or LFS, you will have to do some inital hard work to get it going the right way, but after that things will make more sense and you will start seeing a bigger picture of the way MDK/RH/SuSE work, why those GUI tools work and what there are really doing behind the pretty pictures.

Just stick with it for another week or two, post questions here and there and see what happens, give it some time to let it all sink in.

You currently have the new distro blues and they will go away someday, I promise. :wink:

I could care less what all you people have to say, I just like Linux!

Seriouly, SoulSe you knew going into it from previous converstaions that Gentoo wasn't going to be extremely easy to install and use right off the bat, I gave you plenty of fare warnings, I think?  But that is why YOU said you wanted to use it to learn more and not rely on all the MDK gui tools.  Well, I think your starting to learn more about Linux now.  Your zip drive will work if it is in what ever kernel you are using, just like any other hardware, it WILL work, you just have to figure out how to get it working.  That's why you wanted to use Gentoo wasn't it, to learn more about how it all works?  If you get your zip drive working, you will have learned something, NO?

I think you just ran into the Gentoo noob's  inital :banghead: , your just frusterated becuase it didn't do everything mdk did for you and now you need to take a couple of deep breaths, sit back read some forum searches and clear you mind and think what isn't working?  How can I make it work?  You need to think out side the Mandrake box and figure out what you can do to make it work.  It's NO different than using Debian, Slackware, Arch or LFS, you will have to do some inital hard work to get it going the right way, but after that things will make more sense and you will start seeing a bigger picture of the way MDK/RH/SuSE work, why those GUI tools work and what there are really doing behind the pretty pictures.

Just stick with it for another week or two, post questions here and there and see what happens, give it some time to let it all sink in.

You currently have the new distro blues and they will go away someday, I promise. :wink:

It's people like you that make this the best freakin' users' board in the World.... *sob* come here, man... *sob*

You summed it up very well. Although there are some things that just aren't freakin' working. Sure, I am used to Mandrake, etc. etc. But, I have compiled many a kernel in my time and when it comes to that _very important_ stage of the game, I like to think that I know what I'm doing. So why, after compiling the kernel in Gentoo the exact same way I have done it for other distros, my zip drive won't work? I'm willing to submit that I might have forgotten or overlooked something... but the chances are minute. I have SCSI compiled in with all the necessary modules, etc. etc.

I haven't given up yet, but feel my pain:

- X freezes the WHOLE time, so I have to reset (no ctrl+alt+anything)

- I get 18 insmod errors on boot, God alone knows why.

- I can't get my standard US-layout keyboard working properly(this one is an especially lovely little problem :evil: ).

- I can't get my zip drive, where I backed up all my important configuration files, working!

And that's just the big stuff....

Anyway, yes, I am learning something, but like I said: installing Gentoo will teach you nothing, it's forcing it to work where the learning comes in.

Thank God for you all.... and Mandrake. If you don't like Mandy, try using some of the other distros out there, you will fall in love with her all over again.

Gentoo does test your patience but nothing a drink and a cigarette can't fix. I personally like Gentoo although I have taken a break from getting some of the things to work. Good luck and if you need any help by all means please ask and if I can help I will although I'm not that far ahead of you 8)

Thank God for you all.... and Mandrake. If you don't like Mandy, try using some of the other distros out there, you will fall in love with her all over again.
Or leave her for your mistress, like I did 8)

but seriously, Mandrake is nice sometimes. Every now and then I get annoyed that things don't "just work" and I have to hunt for answers, but in the end I learn something new so I tend to stick it out....