OpenOffice.org 3.1 released

spinynorman

Some very nice improvements there. I'm loving how far OO has come, and this batch of features just shows there is no slowing on it's improvements.

Is this likely to go in to the repo's for 2009.0?

Using it since yesterday, and it works OK.

It seems that I'm not the only one who's dissapointed with OOo though. Only oowriter is on par with MS Word 2007 (or better in a few aspects), while the other modules are significantly inferior. But the real problem is that OOo is getting hoggier with every new release.

I'm quite liking IBM Lotus Symphony so far - of course it's OO-based, but it's really nice.

I had problems with OO3 unable to save Word documents correctly with screenshots and tables in it. However, saving it under Symphony, gave me all I needed so that I could send it to colleagues who didn't have OO.

I have downloaded the OOo_3.1.0_LinuxIntel_install_wJRE_en-US.tar.gz, but Im not sure how to install it correctly.

From the KDE gui, If you double-click on this file, ark should offer to extract the contents to a location of your choice. In those contents will be a readme file with instructions for installation.

• 2 weeks later...

@ xboxboy: same method as always.

1. Extract all RPM's to a folder

2. Delete the RPM's which are specific to a distro you aren't using (they are mainly menu entries).

3. Open a root cosole in that folder, and give

# rpm -ivh *.rpm

Of course you should have removed your existing OOo installation first.

Personally I won't upgrade- I'd rather wait Go-Openoffice 3.1 being available (currently at 3.1 RC2, and with a fair share of serious bugs).

Also with 3.0.1 when you export a document containing formulae to pdf, some of the characters get mangled, even though they still look fine in the odt. :angry:

Eg, the following simple snippet looks like this in the pdf: post-10937-1242895472_thumb.png where the powers should be 2 and 3/2. Pretty darn useless.

Have they fixed this in 3.1?

(I'm really beginning to wish I hadn't upgraded from 2008.1... :sad:)

Also with 3.0.1 when you export a document containing formulae to pdf, some of the characters get mangled, even though they still look fine in the odt. :angry:

Eg, the following simple snippet looks like this in the pdf: post-10937-1242895472_thumb.png where the powers should be 2 and 3/2. Pretty darn useless.

Have they fixed this in 3.1?

(I'm really beginning to wish I hadn't upgraded from 2008.1... :sad:)

well ooo-writer imports good to me...I've not had that problem yet and I'm using 3.0.1.....

and those new features are very useful...I think I could replace some autocad options with those XD...

well ooo-writer imports good to me...I've not had that problem yet and I'm using 3.0.1.....
Do you mean importing pfs into writer? I'm talking about exporting pdfs from writer. It's always worked great in the past, and I now rely on it. And everything works apart from certain parts of the formulae.

As for the import, I tried it out but it doesn't work for me - apparently I need to add an extension?

Aaarghhh... Just installed Go-Openoffice 3.1.0 RC2, and this bloody thing can't even decode properly a non-UTF8 textfile.

Both kate and gedit have absolutely no trouble recognizing the used code (ISO 8859-7) and decode the text, but go-OO... nope- not even ponting it the correct text encoding manually.

Do you mean importing pfs into writer? I'm talking about exporting pdfs from writer. It's always worked great in the past, and I now rely on it. And everything works apart from certain parts of the formulae.

As for the import, I tried it out but it doesn't work for me - apparently I need to add an extension?

yes I meant that (I don't know why I said "import") my mistake :P

• 3 weeks later...