Dual Booting on different HDDs

Snat

It has been something I have been wondering lately. I am getting another HDD into my laptop and I plan to duel boot Mandriva & Windows. Now, I know how to install however and get them both to boot however, I haven't done it how I am about to explain.

Right now, I only have one HDD in the laptop which has Windows installed. What I plan to do is remove the HDD and place a new one in which I will then install & setup Mandriva. However, I am then planning to remove Mandriva HDD from the laptop. In a week or so, I plan to get another HDD caddy for my laptop which will allow me to have both HDD at once.

However, what do I do about the bootloader ?

Will I ned to re-install Grub and re-set them up. If so, is there a very easy way to do this like using a LiveCD etc ?

Many thanks and ya, I know I ask alot :lol2:

It will be easiest for you if you wait and install Mandriva only once you have both HDDs installed in the laptop together.

You can do it the way you suggest too, but if you are not very experienced with Linux it could be difficult for you.

I have alot of experiencing and I don't mind wasting hours to get it to work, I was just wondering what the best way would be to re-install the bootloader so I can do so.

However, I will take your advice and wait until I get both HDD in. Thanks

It's quite easy, nothing to be afraid of. Normally, you just have to insert your *nix bootCD, and either pick "reinstall bootloader" from the grub menu, or boot your exiting *nix installation and as root giving

# grub-install /dev/sdx

where "x" is your boot disk enumeration (a, or b, or c, or...)