Use Mandriva 2009.1 One or Free?

kdar

Hello Everyone.

I am kind of new to Mandriva. I tried to install Mandriva 2009 before, but because of some errors, came back to using K/Ubuntu.

Now I am set to using Mandriva for sure, since I really dislike how Kubuntu ended up.

But I wonder, what should I use... Mandriva "One" CD or Mandriva "Free" DVD?

I guess Mandriva Free gets more software than Mandriva One.

And what kind of none-free software or drivers does Mandriva One have? Just things like flash, video drivers? Can I easily install those drivers in Mandriva by package manager?

How would you recommend me to install Mandriva?

I guess Mandriva Free gets more software than Mandriva One.

And what kind of none-free software or drivers does Mandriva One have? Just things like flash, video drivers? Can I easily install those drivers in Mandriva by package manager?

How would you recommend me to install Mandriva?

If you are new to Mandriva I guess you are better off with Mandriva One as you get to test it from the live CD before even installing, and you get the Nvidia or Ati proprietary drivers and the Flash plugin all installed automatically.

Also downloading the CD takes much less time than downloading the DVD.

Once you have configured the online repositories all versions of Mandriva have access to the same packages so you can install the same software regardless which install CD or DVD you used.

I can only think of one situation where the Free DVD edition is better: if you have a slow or unreliable internet connection, as in that case you have all the software on DVD and don't need to access the repositories often (only for updates and non-free software).

Of course in that case you also need to get the DVD somehow, as with a slow connection downloading the DVD will take forever...

See also here for an overview of all available versions of 2009.1:

http://www.linuxtech.net/news/mandriva_lin...ing_is_out.html

Edited by tux99

thanks for info guys. Its very nice to be on this forum ;)

What if I want the most latest drivers (like for video etc...)? Actually, I think I did installation of video and some other drivers, which were not included in Ubuntu before.

The only reason to hack/change the video drivers the ONE provides you is if you're wishing to have some advanced features, like say VDPAU (if using an Nvidia card that supports this advanced 3D video accelerator). Rumors are that Intel will soon jump on the VDPAU wagon as well, but so far there's no driver, not even beta.

If you have ATi, then you can use whatever works- performance is guaranteed to be poor, in any case.