urpmi broken?

jgutty

ok...use the easy method! :)

first, since i'm not sure what point you're currently at, as root in teminal, do...

urpmi.removemedia -a

that will ensure that all your rpm sources are banished to the netherworld. next, go the to easy urpmi & follow the instructions there to add new sources. copy & paste the final output from there into your root terminal. let that do it's thing & build your external rpm sources. next, (still as root) type mcc->enter to open up MDK Control Center. click on Software Sources Manager. when that opens, click "add". follow the instructions i posted above for adding your cd sources.

MCC->software sources manager->add->removable media 

before you do that, though, first insert CD1 in your drive (& mount it if necessary). then, do the above steps. it will ask for the source location. just use the browse button & navigate to your cdrom drive that contains the CD. (it should point to something like "removeable://mount/cdrom") choose a name for the source, then click "ok". it will add that source. follow the same procedure for each additional CD.

finally, click "add"->"security updates". click the button to "choose a mirror". click "ok". when that's done, click "save & quit". then, you should have everything back in working order.

chris

Thanks for replying, chris! Unfortunately, though, as I said, doing urpmi.removemedia -a as root gives me the long list of warnings I posted on the previous page. What do I do when that -- and also the long string Steve provided -- doesn't work?

Thanks again for any help you can give.

in terminal, as root, do the "top" command as i posted above & look for the process urpmi to kill it properly. or, you can do

ps -u root

& get the same info as "top", but less detailed. if your urpmi database is locked, that means that it's still running & it can't be opened again 'til it's shut down. try either of those commands, kill urpmi, then try adding the sources. sorry, but i gotta get going. if that doesn't help, hopefully somebody else can pick it up from here. :?

Chris