urpmi broken?

jgutty

I have been running MDK 9.1 for some time, and in the past I have successfully updated using the Control Center.

Now when I tried I received a message that said that there was an error with upmpi.

I tried to revise the update-source to a new server, but it would not change.

Now when I start the update, I am asked to chose a mirror and I get a message that there was an error while updating, the mirror may not be available, or perhaps 9.1 is no longer supported.

Anyone have an idea what is broken? Do I have to install 9.1 from scratch?

if you want your CD sources back, to add to what Steve said, you have to do a few more things.

MCC->software sources manager->add->removable media

before you do that, though, first insert CD1 in your drive (& mount it if necessary). then, do the above steps. it will ask for the source location. just use the browse button & navigate to your cdrom drive that contains the CD. choose a name for the source, then click "ok". it will add that source. follow the same procedure for each additional CD. when you're done, click "save & quit".

Chris

Is anyone still reading this thread?

I was having the same problem, but the solutions you folks so nicely provided :) didn't work in my case. Can you help?

A little backstory: Today, I tried to do a Mandrake Update. It hung, so long that I had to use Xkill on it. After that, when I tried to do Update, it didn't ask for a password and then I got the same error jgutty reported.

So, seeing this thread, I tried removing sources. When I went into the Sources menu and hit "remove" on a source, the menu just disappeared without asking if I wanted to save it or not. That's not normal, is it?

I tried doing it from a terminal with urpmi.removemedia -a. When I do this, it tells me that the various sources have been removed, except 1) it says that "main" cannot be removed and then 2) at the bottom of the report, it says "urpmi database is locked" or something like that. (I can't tell you exactly what it says in English, because I'm using Mandrake in Chinese.)

I tried urpmi urpmi, but it reports back that "there is no package with the name urpmi." ??? How is that possible?

If I now do a urpmi.addmedia ABC xxx.yy.zzz with /hdlist.cz, the terminal reports that the source already exists.

What's going on here? I thought I might be able to get rid of some headaches by updating, but it looks like it might just cause headaches. :cry:

I'm using Mandrake 9.1, Chinese (Taiwan) locale, on a 350 MHz machine with 256 MB RAM. Thanks in advance for any help you can give!

When you do

urpmi.removemedia -a

are you logged in as root in the terminal?

su [hit enter]

[type in your root password][hit enter]

urpmi.removemedia -a

If you still get the same error about the database being locked, try this (still as root in the terminal):

rm -f /var/lib/rpm/__db* && rpm --initdb && rpm --rebuilddb && urpmi.removemedia -a

I just had this same prob 30 minutes ago --- nothing seemed to unlock urpmi so I used an old windose trick (don't tell anyone I said that)! I just logged out and re-booted. When I logged back into MCC urpmi was unlocked and I was able to remove sources and add new ones!

durvish

Jiawen,

when you use xkill to stop a non responding program, it only kills the GUI (i a lot of cases). the actual program process will (more than likely) still be running in the background. to properly kill a program, open a terminal, su to root, then type "top"->enter (without "quotes"). that will give you a list of running processes. look for the process you want to kill in the far right column. look for the corresponding PID# (Process Identification#) in the far left column. type the letter k->enter. it will ask you for the PID# to kill. type in the number->enter. it will ask you if you really want to kill the process (y or n). type y->enter. sometimes that doesn't kill it. if that's the case, it asks you again. repeat those steps & the second time is always a charm. if you ever use xkill to kill a program then find that the program wont run, follow the above steps. or, as was said above, use the Window$ method & reboot. :shock:

Chris

Thanks for all the replies, everyone!

I think I eventually did re-boot. (I tried doing Chinese input in the Gimp and that froze Gnome. But that's a different problem for a different day...) In any case, when I did ps -u username I didn't see anything that looked like urpmi, so I don't think that hanging is currently a problem. However, the sources being unremovable is still a problem.

Steve, thanks specifically to you for responding! Yes, I was logged in as root when I tried urpmi.addmedia. rm -f /var/lib/rpm/__db* && rpm --initdb && rpm --rebuilddb && urpmi.removemedia -a sounds kind of dangerous, though. Are you sure that command won't do any damage?

Sorry to be so cautious. I just have a good grasp on how incredibly little I know, and I'd rather not get myself into hot water.

And again, thanks in advance for any help anyone can give!

here's a forum link refering to what Steve was talking about....rebuild rpm database

i've done it that way myself without a problem, so i'm sure it's safe or else it wouldn't be posted here! :wink:

you need to be root for urpmi unless you give the user permissions otherwise. if you do urpmi.removemedia -a as root from terminal, that will wipe out all of your rpm data bases. then, issue the command Steve gave you to rebuild them. i just suggested using MCC because you get the GUI effect & it might be a bit easier for somebody new to this. either method should work, though.

Chris

Thanks for the help, chris!

Okay, I just did the rm -f /var/lib/rpm/__db* && rpm --initdb && rpm --rebuilddb && urpmi.removemedia -a command. It sat there for a while then spat back the same old stuff. I really don't understand what's going on. Here's the report that it popped up, translated:

will not use source "Installation CD 1 (x86) (cdrom1)”,because file list [/var/lib/urpmi/list.Installation CD 1 (x86) (cdrom1)] does not exist

will not use source “Installation CD 2 (x86) (cdrom2)”,because file list [/var/lib/urpmi/list.Installation CD 2 (x86) (cdrom2)] does not exist

will not use source “International CD (x86) (cdrom3)”,because file list [/var/lib/urpmi/list.International CD (x86) (cdrom3)] does not exist

unable to access “main” file list (hdlist),ignoring this source

unable to access “contrib” file list (hdlist),ignoring this source

removing source “main”

removing source “contrib”

removing source “jpackage.free”

removing source “updates”

removing source “texstar”

removing source “plf”

removing source “scim”

removing source “hdlist:”

removing source “list:”

removing source “vegastrike”

removing source “Games”

urpmi database locked

Then I tried rm -f /var/lib/rpm/__db* && rpm --rebuilddb alone. It ran for a little while then returned me to the bash prompt. I then tried urpmi.addmedia main etc/etc/etc/ with etc/etc/hdlist.cz, but it told me those sources already exist. Then I tried urpmi.removemedia -a and that gave me the same warnings as before.

What's going on? I'm despairing of ever getting urpmi to work right.

Thanks again, in advance, for any help...